DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Need Regex help

Any of you happen to be good a regular expressions? Or know a forum where I can ask. Here's what I want to search for

1. A open and close parenthesis plus all that is between them, but only if one of the characters inside is a colon.

2. A number (meaning: a series of one or more numeric characters) followed by a colon. IOW, it would treat 1: and 12: and 123: the same.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Even thinking about thinking about regular expressions makes me dizzy, but here are a couple of web resources that may help you figure it out:

Regular-Expressions.info Sort of a cookbook format.

grep basics

Old 05-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I love GREP!

Try these:

For your no. 1 (I assume you are using standard round parentheses. If you are using square parentheses or curly braces, just replace these with the ones you want to search on.)
\(.*\:.*\)

For your no. 2
[0-9]+\:

Note that you have to do this in a text editor that recognises standard regular expressions. The Microsoft versions vary somewhat. Make sure you have the checkbox for regular expressions ticked or you will get very different results.

Do you need replacement strings as well? The find string changes if you do.

I tested both of these in BBEdit and they worked.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Howard Allen

Ann (and especially Andrew)!

Andrew's first example was a bit of a challenge--I like GREP puzzles, too! Unfortunately, Ann's first GREP string doesn't work in all cases. I tried it in TextWrangler on several different combinations. Since the .* wildcard combo searches for zero or more instances of any character except a carriage return, it will find any character between the first left parenthesis and the next carriage return; it won't stop when it sees the next right parenthesis, so it could select several sets of parentheses in a line, and everything else up to the carriage return, even if those other sets of parentheses don't contain a colon. For example, try it on this line:

If you find anyone in the office (Fred, Jane or Bob) give them (as soon as possible) the numbers (12345:).

Here's one that should work:

\([^)]*\:+[^)]*\)

This one searches for a left parenthesis, plus zero or more instances of any character EXCEPT a right parenthesis, followed by one or more instances of a colon, followed by zero or more instances of any character EXCEPT a right parenthesis, followed by a right parenthesis.

Andrew's second problem is much easier; Ann's suggested string will do the job. Here's another one that will work:

\d+\:

This one just looks for one or more instances of any digit, followed by a colon.

Cheers,

OSX 10.10.5

Last edited by Andrew B.; 05-07-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, Howard. I wish I had asked sooner.

FWIW, vBulletin offers an option under the text entry window to disable smiles. I already fixed it.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Me again. I'm curious. Why do I have to specify the possibility of more than one colon.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Thanks, Howard.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Howard Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Me again. I'm curious. Why do I have to specify the possibility of more than one colon.
You don't. Just the way you stated your problem: "A open and close parenthesis plus all that is between them, but only if one of the characters inside is a colon." I wasn't sure if you meant only one or at least one of the characters is a colon. The expression I gave you covers either circumstance. If you want to find instances with only one colon, then just omit the + sign.

Cheers,

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote