DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> With KT's tons of paper I would have thought that the 1500 wins hands down because of ppm.

I suppose it'd depend on how patient the human feeding the scanner is. For me it wasn't so much the speed as the tray capacity. As long as the feed mechanism is reliable, I wouldn't care whether 50 pages took two minutes to scan or twenty, so long as I didn't have to stand there and baby-sit it. But having to feed it a much smaller number of pages at a time would be the deal-breaker ... it'd more or less chain you to the thing.

In this case, there's no need to choose. You can get a smaller tray AND slower scanning speed if you want. <g>

>> I wonder what they charge for duplicating the software if KT needs both Mac and Windows capability?

I don't think KT allows Windows computers on the property.

>> My very first scanner was a flatbed business level Fujitsu scanner scsi connected and it was built like a Rolls Royce!

Mine was an HP that would only work on a Mac until somebody on Compuserve (it might well have been you, in fact) pointed me at the tricks to getting it working on a PC. Also built like a tank.

>> Beautifully engineered but I expect everything is plastic nowadays especially at those prices. I think I paid £400 back in the 1980's and that was from a discount, surplus store! That would have been about $650 back then.

Yep. I think the HP went for nearly $2,000 at the time.

The Fujitsu s1500 is so light that there simply can't be much metal in it, and some users would probably tear it to pieces in short order; the ones who SLAM doors instead of just ssssshutting them. But with gentle use, this should last, I think.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote