DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 04-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Facebook

I wish I understood facebook more. I go to my page, stare at it, and think "what the heck am I supposed to do with this." Is they idea that everybody just posts about themselves and then others attach notes to it. Sort of like a blog? Is it possible to send a message to someone without replying to an existing note?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Is it possible to send a message to someone without replying to an existing note?
There are three ways to do this that I know of.

1) On your home page, type something in the box pointing to the word "Share," where is says, "What's on your mind?" in gray. Friends can see and comment on this sort of message.

2) On someone else's home page, type something in the box pointing to the word "Share," where is says, "Write something..." in gray. Friends can see and comment on this sort of message.

3) You can send a private message to an individual or group by clicking "Messages" in the left column and then clicking "+ New Message."

Last edited by Gerry Kowarsky; 04-11-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I wish I understood facebook more. I go to my page, stare at it, and think "what the heck am I supposed to do with this." Is they idea that everybody just posts about themselves and then others attach notes to it.

That, or you can read what your friends have said and comment on it, read others' comments. I had the same reaction at first. Mystified. Play with it a bit though, and it'll become familiar fairly quickly. I enjoy it because it lets me keep in touch, however superficially, with a much wider range of friends than would otherwise be possible.

Before sharing anything you don't want broadcast to the known universe, I would ... well, actually I just wouldn't. I don't trust Facebook with anything remotely personal. If today's rules suit you, wait. They'll change. ;-)

And what Gerry said.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I enjoy it because it lets me keep in touch, however superficially, with a much wider range of friends than would otherwise be possible.

Before sharing anything you don't want broadcast to the known universe, I would ... well, actually I just wouldn't. I don't trust Facebook with anything remotely personal. If today's rules suit you, wait. They'll change. ;-)
I agree completely.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

When I enter facebook I end up on a News Feed page. I'm looking at it now. It shows who made friends with whom. How likes whom, and 6 others who do too -- Plus comments regarding the liking of this person. Also, announcements from some charities that I connected to. Before today I used to see general comments by a friend and a few people responding to it.

Are these things people have posted on their own sites, or actions they have taken, and so they show up on my site because I'm a friend?

If I type something in "what's on my mind" (as you suggested) will it be one of those things that shows up on other people's sites, and to which people might comment? And this will show only to my friends, not friends of friends?

You also mentioned me doing this on someone else's page. Would the difference be that this would only show up to them and their friends, but not my friends who are not also their friends.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

What's funny is I've ended up with friends I have not seen since elementary school. It's actually nice to see them. But I don't really know what to do. I'm used to email (which is private) and forums (where it's direct and group discussion). I'm not sure what to do on facebook. Maybe say "Hey, I like this guitar player" and link to his page. See if people comment. Maybe there is a Facebook for Dummies, except without all the space-wasting humor.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Are these things people have posted on their own sites, or actions they have taken, and so they show up on my site because I'm a friend?
I don't claim to know all the ins and outs, but the answer is that something you put on your wall or someone else's wall are public comments and may end up on the news feeds of friends. I say "may end up" because "Top News" is a subset of what happens on Facebook based on how you interact with your friends. If you want to see more, click "Most Recent."

Quote:
If I type something in "what's on my mind" (as you suggested) will it be one of those things that shows up on other people's sites, and to which people might comment? And this will show only to my friends, not friends of friends?
Yes to the first question. I'm not sure about the second question. On my News Feed, I see plenty of comments made by friends of friends. That's a good way to discover people you would like to be friends with. But there may be more ways than I'm aware of in Facebook's security settings to control who sees what. Facebook tends to assume that you want to share everything, but it has been making it easier for people to share less. As Steve said in another message, assume that anyone can see anything you post on your wall or someone else's. I once did a search that let me see some very critical comments about someone I know. I did not participate in this conversation, but I was able to see it because a single Facebook friend of mine was a part of it.

Quote:
You also mentioned me doing this on someone else's page. Would the difference be that this would only show up to them and their friends, but not my friends who are not also their friends.
I don't think so. I may be mistaken, but I think I see things that my friends post on the walls of people who are their friends but not mine. It's best to assume that anyone can see anything you post on any wall.

I don't post very much on my own wall. Just what I think is important. The last thing I posted was an invitation to an event where I was speaking. I post birthday wishes on my friends' walls, but generally, I'm more comfortable sending private messages. I do more commenting than posting, and I started clicking "Like" more often when I realized how pleased I am when someone else "Likes" something I posted.

It's perfectly fine to be a lurker on Facebook until you are comfortable being more active, if that ever happens. I try to scan my News feed regularly because, as Steve said, "it lets me keep in touch, however superficially, with a much wider range of friends than would otherwise be possible."
Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> When I enter facebook I end up on a News Feed page. I'm looking at it now. It shows who made friends with whom. How likes whom, and 6 others who do too -- Plus comments regarding the liking of this person. Also, announcements from some charities that I connected to. Before today I used to see general comments by a friend and a few people responding to it.

This is all stuff that happens because people youv'e friended (to facebook a noun) have done something or other and chosen in their settings to share it with friends whenever they do so.

If you'd friended ME, you'd have seen me kvetching about just this ... how much I really really CARE that you changed your picture or made friends with someone I never heard of. And you'd have seen my friend Ric's reply that I needed to install Better Facebook so I could control this cruft. Which I have. Recommended.

>> Are these things people have posted on their own sites, or actions they have taken, and so they show up on my site because I'm a friend?

Exactly.

>> If I type something in "what's on my mind" (as you suggested) will it be one of those things that shows up on other people's sites, and to which people might comment?

>>And this will show only to my friends, not friends of friends?

Yes to the first. And to the second, you control in your settings whether it's shared with just friends or the universe in general.

>> You also mentioned me doing this on someone else's page. Would the difference be that this would only show up to them and their friends, but not my friends who are not also their friends.

I think this'll depend on your settings. And mine. For example, right now you can't post on my wall or even see much on it because we're not friends. Facebookally speakbooking. If we were friends on FB, you could write something on my page (my "wall"), I'd be able to see it, as would my other friends who visited my page. I don't think friends of my friends could see it because I haven't permitted that sort of thing. Queen V would not be amused, after all. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I think Facebook itself is sort of Facebook for Dummies. But I may just be wasting space with that remark too. ;-)

Really, I'd just throttle the settings back to "Just to the right of Attila", post a few inconsequential remarks, friend only the people you'd like to stay in contact with, at least to begin with and hang out a while. It all starts to make more sense.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, everyone. I have a better idea what's going on. And maybe if I logged in more often than once every two months, I'd get used to it.