DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
Benwiggy

Default Caution urged with OS X 10.6.7 update

Just to let you know that there have been lots of problems with the OS X 10.6.7 update, relating to fonts, PostScript and PDFs.

Many people are reporting issues with printing text, PostScript not Distilling and causing errors, and PDFs un-embedding fonts after manipulation.

I have had several issues, all of which have been fixed by downgrading to 10.6.6.

I would recommend that you test this update in a ... test environment before installing on production machines.

Last edited by Benwiggy; 03-24-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
Just to let you know that there have been lots of problems with the OS X 10.6.7 update, relating to fonts, PostScript and PDFs.

Many people are reporting issues with printing text, PostScript not Distilling and causing errors, and PDFs un-embedding fonts after manipulation.

I have had several issues, all of which have been fixed by downgrading to 10.6.6.
Thanks for the alert.

Fortunately, I decided not to try to update this machine in its frail state, or I would have been in the soup.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
John Spragens

Anything more specific about circumstances that cause problems? Links to discussions, maybe?

Since I did the upgrade, I've completed a couple of rounds on a project that I lay out in InDesign and deliver as PDF. No problems so far.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Benwiggy

The problem seems to affect Apple's output of OpenType fonts. Particularly Myriad Pro, though that may just be a popular font. I've had issues with several Linotype originals.

Output with OT fonts causes errors parsing the PostScript, either by a laser printer or Distiller. PDFs made directly through the OS will appear fine in Preview, but show an error in Acrobat or other viewer, relating to trouble with the embedded subset of the font.

InDesign's PS output is unaffected, as it doesn't use Apple's own routines. But many other third-party apps and some Apple ones are affected.

There are lots of people complaining on the Apple Discussion pages. Also lots of naysayers, though -- usually from people who haven't got OT fonts or tested it properly.

Journalists from MacUser UK have confirmed the problem.

Canon print drivers also seem to have all gone up the swanny.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
John Spragens

Thanks for the added detail.

Fingers crossed. My PDFs are almost all created by InDesign, occasionally by Photoshop or Illustrator. But I have a SuperDuper copy of the system disk from before the upgrade, just in case ...

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
John Spragens

Oops! I ran into it -- with Myriad Pro in output from FileMaker Pro.

Seen anything that indicates a fix is on Apple's to-do list?

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
The problem seems to affect Apple's output of OpenType fonts. Particularly Myriad Pro, though that may just be a popular font. I've had issues with several Linotype originals.
Thanks. I use Myriad Pro in a client magazine, so that's enough to put me off upgrading.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:

Output with OT fonts causes errors parsing the PostScript, either by a laser printer or Distiller. PDFs made directly through the OS will appear fine in Preview, but show an error in Acrobat or other viewer, relating to trouble with the embedded subset of the font.

InDesign's PS output is unaffected, as it doesn't use Apple's own routines. But many other third-party apps and some Apple ones are affected.

There are lots of people complaining on the Apple Discussion pages. Also lots of naysayers, though -- usually from people who haven't got OT fonts or tested it properly.

Journalists from MacUser UK have confirmed the problem.

Canon print drivers also seem to have all gone up the swanny.
Glad it's nothing serious, then!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
John Spragens

Got an update last night that seems to have resolved the problem -- at least in my case, printing Myriad Pro from FileMaker.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 04-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Howard Allen

What's the update? Software Update keeps inviting me to download 10.6.7 and I keep telling it to buzz off, until I get some positive indication that this font business has been fixed, but they don't mention it at all.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote