DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Somehow I doubt that even a Mac can accommodate a t-byte of RAM. You felt the gentle tugging in the leg department, I'm sure. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Somehow I doubt that even a Mac can accommodate a t-byte of RAM. You felt the gentle tugging in the leg department, I'm sure. ;-)
I did, but I have been chewing on my lip about the possibility that I made a mistake by cheaping out on the core.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
Oooooooooooo! Now I'm REALLY jealous—that 27" baby would look nice on my desk. I've been lusting after one ever since they came out. Let us know how you like it!
I will.

I am wondering about the screen ratio. My current iMac is 24 inches (1920 X 1200). The new one is 27 inches (2560 X 1440), So it will be roughly 1.33 times taller but just 1.2 times wider (based on linear pixels).

I guess I expected it to be either in proportion to the 24-inch or relatively wider, not taller.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
donmcc

Do test out the unit somewhere first, KT. Some of these computer resolutions seem to be designed for younger eyes than ours. I would want to be sure that I could read the screen well.

You would be surprised at how many of the PC users at the college are still using 800x600 resolution because they find the text to small at 1024x768 or larger. (And I'm not sure that the Mac allows you to back down to l smaller resolutions to get larger text and icons.)
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
Do test out the unit somewhere first, KT. Some of these computer resolutions seem to be designed for younger eyes than ours. I would want to be sure that I could read the screen well.

You would be surprised at how many of the PC users at the college are still using 800x600 resolution because they find the text to small at 1024x768 or larger. (And I'm not sure that the Mac allows you to back down to l smaller resolutions to get larger text and icons.)
Guess I shall see. I have already ordered it.

I have good glasses …

Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
donmcc: You would be surprised at how many of the PC users at the college are still using 800x600 resolution because they find the text to small at 1024x768 or larger.
I had a terrible time when I got my 20"LCD (1600x1200) and I had to tweak a lot of stuff to comfortably read the screen in Display Properties like upping the font size on the Appearance tab (via "Advanced") to 10pt and then on the Settings tab (via Advanced > DPI) using Custom set at 105% of normal...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I did, but I have been chewing on my lip about the possibility that I made a mistake by cheaping out on the core.
Given a choice between (usually marginally) faster processor or (usually substantially) more RAM and/or faster/bigger HDD, I'd almost always go for the latter. Especially since you've gone quad-core anyhow. And all the more so because Apple really seems to pound your wallet hard if you want faster processors.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
John Spragens

Yeah ... but Apple's prices for RAM and other upgrades are so overpriced. With something you can easily upgrade for yourself, like the RAM, why not wait? I think Kathleen made the right choice.

I'll be interested to hear how she reacts to the glossy screen. I've seen them in stores and couldn't imagine working on one.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
John Spragens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I guess I expected it to be either in proportion to the 24-inch or relatively wider, not taller.
Everybody seems to have gone to HDTV proportions these days, even when the resolution is higher.

My main display is a Planar PX2611W, with a resolution of 1920 x 1200. When I looked a few months ago, I didn't see any models with that resolution on their site.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #20
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens View Post
Yeah ... but Apple's prices for RAM and other upgrades are so overpriced. With something you can easily upgrade for yourself, like the RAM, why not wait? I think Kathleen made the right choice.

I'll be interested to hear how she reacts to the glossy screen. I've seen them in stores and couldn't imagine working on one.
Waiting for the RAM upgrade? Sure, no question. There are plenty of places to get more RAM at better prices. My point was that you get more bang for the buck by spending it on RAM/fast HDD than on faster processors. Generally.

www.pptools.com
and stuff