Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Franca
Staff

Hi, Anne! Good to see you again!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
Anne Wright

Franca,
Hi! how is your horse doing? Didn't you have that nice bay?
It is good to be back.

Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Anne Wright

Hugh, the Clydesdales have not been back. A local group has set up a true international three day event venue which is closer to the interstates and to town. The Clydesdales go there partly since the local Budweiser distributor sponsors some of the stuff at the shows and I think they trade out the visits of the Clydesdales for advertising.

We no longer have the people to handle the stall maintenance for them, anyway, so it has worked out OK. Same deal for when we were hosting the mounted units from around the state - we ended up with problems when the state police organization stopped covering the charges. They dropped that on the units one year AFTER they were here and some had to scramble to pay me. The guys from Hillsborough took a very long time - I had to call the Sheriff down there before I got paid for their five stalls for three nights. So they have not been back.

I'm pretty much glad to be mostly out of the business, though we do still have some mares.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Anne Wright

Hi Judy,
I'll try not to lose these communities again! Maybe I should go with Google Bookmarks so even if the computer melts down I can find them easier.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
Hugh Wyn Griffith

A time to let go always comes -- the difficulty is doing it; better when it just comes about ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Franca
Staff

I still have Seven and she's doing well, thank you! She's in mudball mode this time of year. She's working on shedding out her winter yak coat now, has been for some weeks. I haven't seen my shedding blade since I moved her in November ... must dig it out from wherever it's hiding because none of the other grooming tools are close to adequate. She has a permanent aura of loose hair floating on the surface over her entire body!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
Anne Wright

Franca,
Don't you hate this time of year? The mares I have left don't get the super heavy coats most years, but that hair is still a nuisance. Last year every time one mare rolled, she left a layer of hair on the new grass. Enough that we thought something had died out in the pasture!
I'm glad to hear Seven is doing good - what discipline are you showing in? Dressage?
Anne
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Franca
Staff

Anne,

When I finally locate my shedding blade I think the result will look like a very large dead thing on the ground.

Had a chuckle on the showing question - not a competitive soul, moi, at least not when it comes to horses. Seven and I just mess around in the arena when I have the time which I haven't much lately. Although since I've moved Seven to my friend's ranch I now have trail access; it will be fun to explore the trails with her if/when I ever get myself back in the saddle. Just too much other stuff going on right now.

Oh - when I do get back into it, said saddle is western.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harwood-OffSide.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1693  

Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Anne Wright

Franca, the family that is taking care of the farm [now that I can't] clipped one of their horses last week. When I went over to the barn, I thought something had died on the front area, there was so much hair! They've had to clip the horses they are working and showing - the temperatures here have been in the 70s and the horses simply are miserable with their winter coats on.

Anne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
Anne,

When I finally locate my shedding blade I think the result will look like a very large dead thing on the ground.

Had a chuckle on the showing question - not a competitive soul, moi, at least not when it comes to horses. Seven and I just mess around in the arena when I have the time which I haven't much lately. Although since I've moved Seven to my friend's ranch I now have trail access; it will be fun to explore the trails with her if/when I ever get myself back in the saddle. Just too much other stuff going on right now.

Oh - when I do get back into it, said saddle is western.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
Anne Wright

Default I can't believe it's been two years since I've been here!

I've stopped in a few times, but didn't post anything.

Last year was a complete black hole. We had two foals - the first needed help the first hour - he managed to get in between his dam's back legs before he was out of the sac. I had to pull the sac off his head then pull him out from between Mom's legs. That was the day before I went to see the doctor about knee replacement, so he saw me in really bad shape.

The second colt hit the ground with no help - and he needed it. We're not sure what happened, but the gate to the mares' pasture was off the hinges, the foal was on the ground and there was blood everywhere thought neither foal or mare was bleeding. He turned out to be a dummy foal - no sucking reflex, couldn't swallow, couldn't hold his head or his ears up. We ended up putting him to sleep.

That was the day before I met with the surgeon to schedule knee replacements - I looked so bad he didn't quibble about getting it done. One of the nurses even came over while I waiting for my paperwork to see if I needed someone to bring a wheelchair.

The first knee replacement was May 15. It went great, I spent three days in the hospital, nine days in a rehab hospital for intensive therapy. By the time I checked out the limiting factor on walking was my remaining bad knee. The surgeon originally told me I'd have to wait three months between replacements but at the first checkup after I got out of rehab he scheduled it for July 25, just over two months after the first. The second recovery was as good as the first. My major problem now is if I sit too long, my knees get stiff so I HAVE to get up and walk around.

With all the walker and wheelchair use during my recoveries, I started having problems with my arms and hands. I thought it was a pinched nerve in my upper back or neck, but when I had a neurology checkup it turned out to be severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands AND an impinged nerve in the right elbow. Since I had long since hit my out of pocket co-pay limit for the year, I had the right hand and elbow operated on in December. The left hand will have to wait - I am burned out on surgery for the moment and have other projects that need to be done!

The cumulative effect of three surgeries and loads of painkillers on top of my four old concussions and another year of age definitely have affected my brain. I'm getting back up to speed but I still wear out fast mentally. My attention span is not what it should be and when I'm tired, my memory is not great. I have to pace myself for doing exacting work. I'm still not up to trusting myself around the horses but I am back doing some gardening. I guess since I turned 60 between knee replacements, it's not too surprising!

I'm back to ask for help in getting a website up for a young friend. He's the one who has done most of the work with my horses since I have been unable to do it. I want to do this for him as a gift for all his help. I'll post details and questions in the web design section.