DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Anne Wright

Default File sharing for personal files

One of the projects I have taken on is my family history. Years ago, Mom edited hers and my father's mother's research into two books covering the family history up to that point. For my parents recent 65th anniversary I re-edited those books, Mom was thrilled and I want to share the digital files with all her grandchildren.

The main body of each book is in PDF format, but to produce a hard copy of the book, there are some "special" files - 11 x 17" foldout genealogy charts, tabs and cover pages.

The main PDFs are 64 and 72 MBs. I zipped them with the special pages and printing instructions to make ZIP files that are 72 and 90 MBs. Since there are many family members who may want these files, I want to upload them to a file sharing site.

I'd just put them on my web site but I don't know how to keep them from being linked by Google or subject to unauthorized download. There is a fair amount of personal data, photos the family is not ready to share with the world, and information I really need to officially copyright.

I've scanned through the Online Backup threads here, but they are not current and not really pertinent to what I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote