DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Anne Wright

Default File sharing for personal files

One of the projects I have taken on is my family history. Years ago, Mom edited hers and my father's mother's research into two books covering the family history up to that point. For my parents recent 65th anniversary I re-edited those books, Mom was thrilled and I want to share the digital files with all her grandchildren.

The main body of each book is in PDF format, but to produce a hard copy of the book, there are some "special" files - 11 x 17" foldout genealogy charts, tabs and cover pages.

The main PDFs are 64 and 72 MBs. I zipped them with the special pages and printing instructions to make ZIP files that are 72 and 90 MBs. Since there are many family members who may want these files, I want to upload them to a file sharing site.

I'd just put them on my web site but I don't know how to keep them from being linked by Google or subject to unauthorized download. There is a fair amount of personal data, photos the family is not ready to share with the world, and information I really need to officially copyright.

I've scanned through the Online Backup threads here, but they are not current and not really pertinent to what I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Ann Clarkson has done a family book and had it printed...I'll bet she could give you some advice when she pops in...

I think there is a "no follow" command you could ad to the robots.txt file...I wonder if that would stop the page from being indexed by Google and other search engines or perhaps giving the page a password might do it?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Anne Wright

Terrie,
That is why I came here - I figured someone would have suggestions about making a download from my own site secure enough. If Google can't find it, that is pretty good for my needs.

I have not used robots.txt - I'll do some reading.

Nothing in the books are really super sensitive, but I don't want casual browsing to turn them up. Plus I am doing tons more research and intend to completely re-edit the books with the new information. The edits I did for Mom were pretty much changing from legal format to regular letter size and improving the pictures from the old B&W xerox copies of the photos to new scans and updated printing.

Ralph is working at Kinko's/FedEx Office so he handles my printing. I even got to use Adobe Acrobat 9 - FedEx has it on all their public computers so at under $20 an hour it makes it easy to set up the files for a final product.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
anne: Nothing in the books are really super sensitive, but I don't want casual browsing to turn them up
I understand perfectly and I think it's reasonable to want to restrict the page/file from being indexed...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

You can password-protect files on a server. Exactly how depends somewhat on the type of server it is (for an Apache server, you could use [dot]htaccess and [dot]htpasswd files). Your host can certainly tell you how to do it on your server.

Then you can set up a single password for all your family (or several of them, if everyone isn’t to have access to all the files).

You then provide a URL and the relevant password to your family members.

You can also deny access to robots and spiders, so Google, et al won’t even look to see what’s there.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Kayza

Will DropBox handle files this large? What is the current file size limit on Google Docs?
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
BobRoosth

Yes, DropBox will handle files that large. That was going to be my suggestion.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Anne Wright

Kathleen,
I've got another tab open with the help forum at my web service. Of I am reading the replies right, unless you specifically ask and pay extra, the servers are Apache. I' look at your suggestions and see if I can figure it out.

This stuff is not coming easily to me these days. I think I passed a threshold of number of times to be under anesthesia in ten years or something. Or maybe I am trying to do too many things at once. Or maybe I just don't have the foundation information to make sense of it.

Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
You can password-protect files on a server. Exactly how depends somewhat on the type of server it is (for an Apache server, you could use [dot]htaccess and [dot]htpasswd files). Your host can certainly tell you how to do it on your server.

Then you can set up a single password for all your family (or several of them, if everyone isn’t to have access to all the files).

You then provide a URL and the relevant password to your family members.

You can also deny access to robots and spiders, so Google, et al won’t even look to see what’s there.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Anne Wright

Bob,
OK, I've downloaded a few things from GoogleDocs but I am still tempted to use my own web space. For one thing, half my worry is keeping Google from accessing my files and I really don't like putting those files in Google's control!

Web stuff seems to be coming back to me now that I have spent a few hour reading the help forum for my web host.

It looks as though the easiest way will be to upload the files into a folder that is blocked from random searching - easy enough to do with their CPanel. In fact, I think most of my folders are blocked already from what I am seeing on my site through CPanel. Then set up a FTP account with a password and a web page with links pointing to the files. I assume once the visitors click on the link a box will show up asking for the password.

I may set up a test file and page to see how it works, then see if Google can find that file. I'll start building the page and come check for responses and suggestions here.

Thanks!
Anne
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
JVegVT

The Opera browser offers a feature called Opera Unite. If you enable it, you can share a file or files that stay on your computer. You send an Opera Unite URL to the people you want to have access to the files. They can go to the URL with any browser.

I haven't used it and don't know more about it, but if you're interested install Opera (if you don't already have it) and click on the Opera Unite icon near the bottom of the screen. Once you install what you need for it you can find out more about how it works.

Nobody but those to whom you send the special URL will have access and Google can't get at it.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote