DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Office 2003 coexist with Office 2007?

Can Office 2003 exist independently with Office 2007 on the same pc?

My sister has a small laptop which has Office 2003 on it and sometime early next week we will be installing Office 2007 on that laptop. Can I do a separate install of Office 2007 so that both versions are independently available?

Her other laptop--larger and she uses it daily--has Office 2000 on it. My instinct is to uninstall Office 2000 before installing Office 2007--I find Office to entangle itself in all sorts of nooks and crannies and uninstalling Office 2000 (using Revo Uninstaller) strikes me as a way to clean out the (quite) old in prep for the (fairly) new.

Is this a reasonable approach--with the recognition that "reasonable" may not be the correct choice of word...'-}}

Also...I realize that on many levels I'm contraditing myself--leave 2003 and uninstall 2000--but the smaller laptop had belonged to one of my sister's clients and if it's safe/ok/possible to have both 2003 and 2007 on this laptop, I'd prefer to do it that way...

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Michael Beloved

I find that those programs interact and cause problems down the road. I had that experience with Adobe CS3 and CS4 products. Part of the reason is that the companies have no intentions of both systems being in one computer unless they are on separate drives. The registry codes interact and do not mesh together very well and there is no way to separate them, the reason being that the new program detects the old and is programmed in part to supersede the old or to upgrade the old.

You might however be lucky and if it doesn't work well, then you will have to uninstall it. Once my registry was so much disturbed that I had to even reinstall the operating system which was vista at the time.

Microsoft does have forums where advisories are posted on such issues.

It also depends on who made the computer, like Toshiba or Dell or whatever, because all those registry entries may not like each other.

I have learnt over time that the best performance from these systems comes when you do what they intended for the said program to do and nothing else, otherwise the registry gets messed up and problems crop up which you cannot even figure out.

There is one other thing though which is that Microsoft has a compatibility feature in the 2007 product and that is what they intended to be used with the older files. It does work but it will warn you when it simply cannot accept something from before.

It is really a pain in the neck but with the acceleration of these systems, we have no choice but to keep abreast or suffer.
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Can Office 2003 exist independently with Office 2007 on the same pc?

Somewhat. You'll want to do any updates you choose to do for 2003 before installing 2007 (then probably not update 2003 again). Then intall 2007 to a separate directory (custom install, obviously; you knew that w/o my saying so <g>).

2007 handles charting and a few other bits quite differently, so that might get a bit mucked up. 2007 will take over file associations so doubleclicking a file will always start it in 2007; you'd have to start 2003 and File, Open to open documents in 2003. NBD, once you get used to it.

I've got one virtual machine with every version of Office from 97 through 2007. 2010 won't play nice there so I"m not allowing it. The others at least let me do quick tests and check "how-tos" in each version quickly. Oh, and VB's liable to get hosed in 97 if you install later versions. Not your problem here.

I've got one PC with 2003 and 2010 together, my wife's has 2000 and 2010. No big hassles.

There's one thing with Word wanting to re-register itself each time you start it up after having used a different version. It's fixable with some registry surgery.

I'd leave 2000 in place if you're going to drop 2007 on her head. At least she'll be able to get some work done until she gets used to the new UI.

I'd seriously consider 2010 instead of 2007 if that's a possibility.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
michael: I find that those programs interact and cause problems down the road.
Yes...that's what I was concerned about...

>> I had that experience with Adobe CS3 and CS4 products.

That's interesting because in the past, I've had 2-3 versions of Photoshop installed on my system and not had problems--I'm still running Photoshop 7 so I'm a bit behind the times as far as Photoshop is concerned...'-}}

Thanks!

Terrie
Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'd leave 2000 in place if you're going to drop 2007 on her head. At least she'll be able to get some work done until she gets used to the new UI.
She's actually familar with 2007 becasue her clients have it installed so there shouldn't be much, if any, learning curve but I will doublecheck that with her as it hadn't occurred to me...

>>I'd seriously consider 2010 instead of 2007 if that's a possibility.

Way too pricey for her budget and only one of her clients has it--the rest have 2007 so 2007 seemed a reasonable upgrade starting place--and we were able to find 2007 via ebay at a decent price...

What has precipitated this is the .docx and .xslx files via her clients' systems. She came to me thinking that she needed to go to win7 (she's running XP) and as we discussed it--with her growing quite pale at my estimate of what a replacement laptop might cost her (I doubt that her current laptop is upgradeable to win7)--I realized that it wasn't the OS but Office that needed upgrading...

As a work around, we downloaded the Microsoft Excel viewer and I experimented with copying the open .xslx file data via the viewer and pasting it into an open (Office 2000) Excel doc which worked quite nicely. I figured it would work because I remember your having mentioned that there was a way--using Winzip????--to access the "x" package which contained the "basic" data file and since I couldn't remember the specifics, I figured that once the .xslx file was open in Excel, the data could be copy/pasted to an older version of Excel...

The new software should arrive early this week and we will do the install. I'm thinking now that I may end up uninstalling 2003 on the smaller laptop before installing 2007 but I need to talk with my sister about who among her clients might still be using 2003. I hadn't thought about looking for patches for it and that's a very good idea however, I'm not looking forward to having to go to Microsoft's website to look because my experience a few days ago when looking for Office 2007 info was just ghastly as Microsoft couldn't have made it more difficult to find proper downloads if they tried..ugh!!! '-}}

Thanks much! I'll report back after the deeds are done...

Terrie
Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If all she needs to do is open/print/maybe_edit docx/etc (ie, new format files), she can even do that in Office 2000 using the compatibility pack that MS has made available. I installed that on Herself's PC so she could open/print the assignments her students sent in.

However for tossing things back and forth between your friend and clients ... well, let's just say that tossing stuff back and forth between the two formats is going to be painful for everybody involved. So 2007's probably her best best.

As far as MS is concerned, 2007 is gone. You'll have a heckuva time finding any downloads for it from them, if you can find 'em at all. Updates are still available of course ... you can use Windows update or just have the app itself check for updates.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: If all she needs to do is open/print/maybe_edit docx/etc (ie, new format files), she can even do that in Office 2000 using the compatibility pack that MS has made available.
Ahhh...never thought to look for something like that...

>>However for tossing things back and forth between your friend and clients ... well, let's just say that tossing stuff back and forth between the two formats is going to be painful for everybody involved. So 2007's probably her best best.

Yeah...I think so too...it was well past time for her to get a new version...

>>As far as MS is concerned, 2007 is gone. You'll have a heckuva time finding any downloads for it from them, if you can find 'em at all.

So I discovered...it was very frustrating but the SP's are, as you noted, still available...I'll probably d/l the SP myself and take it over on my flash drive which will make getting installed and ready to go quicker...

Thanks!

Terrie
Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Definitely, DL the SPs yourself. Flash drive, or perhaps better, burn a CD/DVD so she has it handy in case she needs to reinstall or install to another PC.

Having to suck down all that stuff once is annoying. Having to repeatedly do it is just over the top.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

One thing I forgot to mention: while several versions of Office can co-exist in something resembling harmony, you can only have one version of Outlook on the PC.

If she doesn't use Outlook, that's whatchacallyer nonissue. If she does, she'll want to decide whether to keep the old or the new versions in multi-version Office installs.

If she wants to use any of the Office features that depend on integrating OL with the other apps, she'd want to pick the OL version that matches the version of Office she'll want to use.

The OL data itself seems to work across at least 2003 through 2010. Near's I can tell in light occasional use, anyhow. I don't even pretend to play a competent OL user, though. Not even on the internet.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: One thing I forgot to mention: while several versions of Office can co-exist in something resembling harmony, you can only have one version of Outlook on the PC.
Thank you very much for mentioning this as she does use Outlook...I think that nails it...I will plan on uninstalling the older versions...

Terrie