DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
donmcc

Default Ipad/Iphone programming

Does anyone here have experience building apps for Iphone or Ipad? It is something I am looking at getting into (although it will mean coming back into the Mac world after 20 years ... you can't build I-apps on a PC).
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Benwiggy

I've not done that, though I have written some simple apps in Xcode, and I think that making them for iOS just means ticking a few boxes in the Build info.

Xcode is an incredible environment, though some people don't like it. As with moving to any new platform, you should learn the way that it works, and do it that way, rather than trying to make it do things the way that you want to do from habits learnt elsewhere.

Xcode is free to download from the Apple developer website (you have to register); but it's worth investing in a book or two on Xcode and Obj C. Make sure you get an up-to-date book for the latest version.

You'll find that Macs have changed significantly in 20 years!
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
I think that making them for iOS just means ticking a few boxes in the Build info.
It's a bit more than that -- many of the APIs are quite different, and it's more template-based.

You're right about the need for a good book, and there are plenty to choose from.
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
donmcc

I got the Ipad Applications For Dummies as a book. I'm hoping that it manages to meet my programming limitations. Some books expect a computer scientist on the other end, and I'm not at that point.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Interesting. This has just come up for me ... a client is looking for a way to put an app on iPhones (iPads/Pods as well, probably) but it would be strictly for his customers, so as near as I can tell, not something he could put on the App store.

Is it even possible to add apps to the iPhone w/o going through the store? He's doing some research on this on his own, but I figured I'd help out by asking where I know I can trust the answers.

Another possibility is to distribute the product (a kind of presentation more than an app) as HTML5. If it's not an app but a web page or series of them, is there a way of loading that onto a phone w/o going down Apple's wires?

For example if I were to email someone a couple of interlinked HTML and JPG attachments, could they launch them in the browser? Or save them someplace for later launching?

And is this my opportunity to tell the client he has to buy me an iPhone? ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
donmcc

I have no trouble viewing web pages on the Iphone. It uses Safari as browser, and actually does a fairly good job with normal pages. I suspect if you designed for that size window, it would be even better.

Dunno if there are any other places to sell apps. It is just so darned convenient through the app store though.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

In this case, it's not a question of viewing web pages using the iPhone ... it's one of viewing web pages that are *stored* on the iPhone.

Though this isn't the only situation we'd be trying to address, it's one scenrio:

Imagine you're in a plane at cruising altitude, you're not allowed to use your iPhone's wireless/phone (yep, I know this is changing too, but work with me here <g>), and you want to show a brief presentation to the person in the next seat.

We're trying to learn whether it's possible to do this in a totally self-contained way.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
donmcc

I see. I suspect that an app would do this, but really don't know enough about it to be sure.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post

Is it even possible to add apps to the iPhone w/o going through the store?

And is this my opportunity to tell the client he has to buy me an iPhone? ;-)
Don't know but it's possible to write applications in Bento or FileMaker for the iPhone, iPod and iPad and distribute them so long as the clients instal Bento or FMGo.

The only real answer is, of course, to get an iPhone ;-)

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Don't know but it's possible to write applications in Bento or FileMaker for the iPhone, iPod and iPad and distribute them so long as the clients instal Bento or FMGo.

Interesting ... how are the applications distributed? The client doesn't want to go through app store because he doesn't want the applications sold to the general public, just to his existing clients.

>> The only real answer is, of course, to get an iPhone ;-)

I'd like to, really. I can't see switching from my current carrier just to get an iPhone ... it wouldn't be worth it. But if the client wants to provide one, I'll happily test the heck out of it. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff