DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
Benwiggy

Assuming you still want to run Quark XPress, Illustrator and Photoshop, then that really rules out a tablet.

There are many Linux freeware clones of these apps -- Scribus for QXP, Inkscape for Illustrator and GIMPShop for Photoshop (a modified GIMP designed to have a Photoshop interface).
However, I have no idea whether the Android OS can handle these, or if the touchscreen GUI of a tablet renders them useless without a mouse.

I would suggest that getting a lightweight laptop is a more useful investment. If you can afford it, the MacBook Airs (MacBooks Air?) are designed exactly for this purpose -- long battery life, low weight, good screen. I'm sure there are similar Windows-based ones.

If you do want to use a tablet, then you'll need to find some other software that can do the magazine work on the tablet. I have no idea of how producing Pressready PDFs and sending them to a printer would work.
Pages on the iPad, as part of iWork, the Apple "office-style" suite, is capable of producing really nice press work. You would have to build your old templates from scratch, though.
If you did go with the Galaxy, then you would need to use whatever layout software has been written specifically for Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I don't see any apps on the Galaxy that would allow you to open and edit Word documents for example, or view graphics, or mark up PDFs.
I'd be very surprised if you couldn't open and edit a Word document on Android. I can do that on my iPhone, so there's no way that Android
are going to compete if they can't do this.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote