DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
JVegVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Is there something better than chkdsk for checking the hard disk. Something that can show me which cluster is bad and maybe which files are sitting on it.
Hard drive makers usually have free utilities that check the disk for software and mechanical errors. I don't think they'll tell you what cluster is bad and for sure, not what files are on it. If any bad clusters show up, the drive is on the way to being toast and you'd best back up whatever files you can and be ready to replace the drive.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVegVT View Post
The problem is that Spinrite costs as much as a new hard drive.
--Judy M.
You're right. It might be worth it if it enables you to recover data that might otherwise be lost, but just to save the drive itself? Nah.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Andrew B.
Staff

The free utility from Seagate failed to install. But I ran chkdsk in a different way. This time I ran from the admin command prompt with chkdsk c: \R. It found

Quote:
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xf33b21000 for 0x10000 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xf33b23000 for 0x1000 bytes. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 91096 of name \Windows\assembly\NATIVE~1.303\PRESEN~2\00CBA6~1\P RESEN~1.DLL
Quote:
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xfe1ddc000 for 0x10000 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xfe1dea000 for 0x1000 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xfe1deb000 for 0x10000 bytes. Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xfe1deb000 for 0x1000 bytes. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 282728 of name \Users\WHITEL~1\Music\ANTIGO~1\JOHNDU~1\16BIRD~1.M P3.
Then later it said:
Quote:
Adding 3 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
And there is one curious thing. I tried to find the path of \Windows\assembly\NATIVE~1.303\PRESEN~2\00CBA6~1\. It doesn't exist. There are no subfolders in that folder and no files that begin with NATIVE. Could someone with Win7 see what you have?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I've just checked here (Windows 7/64 bit in a virtual machine) and no match here. I've got a \Windows\assembly directory but no subdirectories below that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Andrew B.
Staff

I did a little more searching. It looks like I probably had a folder there that held native images, which are not critical files.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:51 AM   #16
Benwiggy

It sounds as if your hard drive is failing. I would make sure that everything is backed up, and buy another drive. Can you get another backup utility, or just copy all your user files to a new disk?

Does the Windows disk utility show you the SMART status of the drive? That might be useful. But in any case, I wouldn't hold out that you can fix this with software.

The ticking noise you describe sounds terminal.

And I wouldn't backup the system files. If the disk failure has caused corruption in your system files, then a backup will just pass on that file corruption to the new disk. Better to reinstall the OS afresh.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #17
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Interesting, and thanks for the link. It sounds like the kind of thing that could either be regenerated if done on your PC in the first place, or that'd be reinstalled when you re-install your software as needed.

Oh, and did you notice that I raised my arm in a "Me too" sort of way after reading Benwiggy's suggestion? ;-)

Did your computer come with restore CD/DVDs or the ability to generate your own? If the latter, you might want to have a go at that soonish, in case the HDD problem gets worse.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20208222897

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
Does the Windows disk utility show you the SMART status of the drive? That might be useful. But in any case, I wouldn't hold out that you can fix this with software.
My searching has turned up nothing. I don't think the bios support this. But I asked over at a sony discussion area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
And I wouldn't backup the system files. If the disk failure has caused corruption in your system files, then a backup will just pass on that file corruption to the new disk. Better to reinstall the OS afresh.
That's a good point.

I would jump on this except for a couple things. The ticking didn't sound like that typical hard disk sound (although I can't rule it out). The behavior of the computer reminded me more of a memory problem or overheating problem. I also found some notes on the Internet about ticking being from the fan.

Still, there is no denying that my hard disk had some physical problems. Three bad clusters, which I had to repair. And one of of them involved a file I wrote within the last few weeks. But because of the other possibilities, I'm going to do a follow-up scan in a few days and see what's what. It is not so easy for me to get to a store, replace the hard disk, set up the computer again.

After I found the clusters, Windows Backup was able to complete a backup. I also found a backup utility (SyncBackPro) that copies without using proprietary formats. I plan to do daily backup and monitor the hard disk. I didn't test Acronis yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Did your computer come with restore CD/DVDs or the ability to generate your own? If the latter, you might want to have a go at that soonish, in case the HDD problem gets worse.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20208222897
Thanks for that. As it happens, I generated the restore discs right after I bought the computer. I just hope the hard disk was okay then. Also generated a Windows boot and repair disc.