DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default CSS/HTML viewer for Firefox

Aardvark (from Karmatics) is an extension for web browsers that shows the outlines of elements on a page (your own or any other) along with its element type (including class or id).

Then you can use keyboard shortcuts to perform all sorts of tricks, including deletion of the element, its content, or surrounding items; change colored elements to black text on a white background; view the source code for the element; or remove any fixed width values.

With this thing you can (locally) delete ads and other junk from pages you want to print. More useful, maybe, you can see whether the CSS elements you have created are where and like what you intended.

It was created in AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript and XML), an interesting bit of technology. (Read about AJAX in Wikipedia.) Karmatics is pretty interesting too.

I learned about this on INETPUB (Internet Publishing Forum) on CompuServe. If you don’t know that forum and are developing web pages (at any level), you should check it out. (I am on staff there, but recommend it mainly because it offers so much useful information on web development.)

Old 05-16-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Clayton

>>I learned about this on INETPUB[/url] (Internet Publishing Forum) on CompuServe.

I had forgotten about this, but right now it would be a very useful source of info for me. Hate to deal with CIS, 'cause this forum's format has spoiled me.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton
I had forgotten about this, but right now it would be a very useful source of info for me. Hate to deal with CIS, 'cause this forum's format has spoiled me.
INETPUB is helpful, though.

Thanks for the kind words about our forum. We are helpful too. :-)