DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default iPad questions

Have mercy here — I still don’t have a cell phone or any other hand-held communication device. But I am thinking of going crazy and buying an iPad (against all my earlier objections).

A couple of questions …

What is 3G good for, practically speaking? I understand that it allows one to have the web and other remote services in public places with 3G available. But where are those places likely to be? I do not routinely hang out in coffee shops or other public places with 3G, but is that how you get service in a hotel or similar venue?

What chews up data storage most? For a price, one can buy the thing with 16, 32, or 64GB. I assume that videos are the most demanding, then lots of high-res images. What else uses a lot of space? Apps?

Is it possible that I might have almost as much fun with the new iPod Touch?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Shane Stanley
Staff

3G means you have Internet access wherever there's cellphone reception; it's wi-fi that relies on cafes, hotels, your home wi-fi, etc.

As you say, videos chew memory, but it's not as if it would be your only storage. You can put a lot of stuff even on 16GB (remember the hard drives of yore?).

An iPhone or iPod touch is much more portable, but the extra screen space of the iPad makes it much more practical for some things. I know my iPhone is a strain on my eyes after a while because it's so small. I guess your choice should depend to a certain amount on how much you intend to get about with it.
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I've only had a brief play with the iPad one of the youngsters at work has, but the three things I really liked were:
  1. being able to see a reasonable area at a reasonable size on the GIS (on my iPhone, if I enlarge it enough to be able to read, i'm lucky to see more than one block
  2. being able to use a browser properly (too small on my iPhone, unless I enlarge it, and then I see very little)
  3. the quality of the type in the only book he had (he doesn't read, so had only the one book that came with it).
He has since got an iPhone 4, so doesn't use the iPad as much. But when he first got it, he moved house and used it for his internet for a couple of weeks until he got his broadband set up.

The screen is big enough to use the keyboard in touchtype mode, which is a big advance on the iPhone.

Last edited by annc; 09-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

I can't speak for the iPad but the iPod squeezes an awful lot of stuff into a small place, I have a 32GB iPod and it currently contains:

5 days, 16 hours and 10 mins of music
6 full-length films
5 audio books
About 60 applications
A complete OS map of Britain including 1:25k maps for part of the UK
A dictionary and thesaurus

and there's still 4GB free.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
The screen is big enough to use the keyboard in touchtype mode, which is a big advance on the iPhone.
And you can always use a bluetooth keyboard with it, I believe.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

"Touchtype mode". As opposed to "touchetype mode" ... using a little stick to fence with the device. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley View Post
3G means you have Internet access wherever there's cellphone reception; it's wi-fi that relies on cafes, hotels, your home wi-fi, etc.
Glad I asked that, since I had it semi-backwards.

Quote:
As you say, videos chew memory, but it's not as if it would be your only storage. You can put a lot of stuff even on 16GB (remember the hard drives of yore?).
But we have sloppier stuff these days. Are most apps small?

Quote:
An iPhone or iPod touch is much more portable, but the extra screen space of the iPad makes it much more practical for some things. I know my iPhone is a strain on my eyes after a while because it's so small. I guess your choice should depend to a certain amount on how much you intend to get about with it.
Probably not too much. I want this thing viscerally, so am trying to figure out a practical use so as not to feel too guilty. But I suspect most use will be at home.

If it turns out to be easy to store my own PDFs in it, I might use it instead of sheafs of papers. Can you put it on a copier and get a good print?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

I already figured out that reading much text on an iPhone (or any cell phone I have seen so far) is seriously painful. Cannot imagine using a browser that way unless there was some (brief) emergency. But of course phones (or iPods) are much easier if you want something to carry around.

I saw that visual keyboard; I bet I could get used to it (though I would miss the little bumps on the home keys).

Mostly I fell in love with the colors and feel of the thing. Quite irrational, really. I might get almost as much pleasure out of the new iPod Touch. Or even an iPhone or a fancy Android. Just not sure I want all the stuff on a phone.

I keep whirling from one possibility to another.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

That’s a formidable list.

What sort of iPod — the Touch or a regular one?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
If it turns out to be easy to store my own PDFs in it, I might use it instead of sheafs of papers. Can you put it on a copier and get a good print?
I haven't seen it tried, but I doubt it. Decent printing support is still in the pipeline.
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote