DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Which print on demand company

I can search google and find print on demand places that have a web store to sell your publication. What I'd like to know is whether anyone here knows about the reputations of an of the North American ones, and if so, who do you suggest for something like a 30 page pamphlet.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Michael Beloved

I use CreateSpace, which is a subsidiary of Amazon. Whatever is printed there is automatically transferred to Amazon.com.

I began with Lulu but found Amazon to be cheaper.

Here is a link to CreateSpace:

https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Does this also get you into the Amazon sites for countries other than the U.S.?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
Michael Beloved

This gets you into Amazon USA automatically.
For Amazon UK you have to apply there and also upload special PDF files for Searchinside Amazon UK.

The Amazon UK availability is recent within the last three months since each of the Amazon companies are seperate legal entities.

These are my pages at each:

http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002PJ2ZMA
https://authorcentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/books
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks for the additional information.

According to Wikipedia "Amazon has established separate websites in Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan, and China. It also provides international shipping to certain countries for some of its products."

OTOH, Lulu appears to ship all over the world, although the shipping cost would be greater to places outside the U.S. So that might be more convenient. And I think they advertise on Amazon. But then it costs more.

Not easy to figure this stuff out.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Michael Beloved

Lulu does cost more. Subsequently I moved a few of my books from Lulu to Createspace. Lulu offers more book sizes and does hardbound. CreateSpace does not do anything but paperback.

As for Lulu shipping everywhere, it takes some months to get that in place once you sign up for it, and they do or they used to discriminate, as to whether you used your own ISBN or the one you purchased from them which assigns Lulu as publisher.

You can however try both companies and then compare but my experience is that Lulu cost more. I was able to sell a book at $8. less to consumers when I moved it to CreateSpace and still make the same amount as the author/publisher.

Amazon in each of those locations listed at Wikipedia is a different entity and you have to sign up separately with each.
However when it comes to printing and mailing out your books by Amazon, you are dealing with CreateSpace which is USA based right now. And that means you have to transfer to the other entities in other countries. Only recently within the past two months has CreateSpace had a direct relationship with Amazon UK.

You can however establish a relationship with the other Amazons in the other countries such that you mail out the books from your home/office but that entails establishing bank accounts and tax relationships in the particular countries.

But it is not true that Amazon in each country is one entity. It is not. Each is legal in itself and in relationship to the laws of the countries of registry.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, Michael. It looks like going international can be complicated.

This is actually not my project. I suggested print-on-demand to someone who has been taking orders individually via mail. Then I figured I better know something if I was asked questions. And now I've forwarded the link to this thread. I think your replies will give an excellent start.

I also found a forum while I was poking around: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47