DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Torn Between Two Potential Jobs

Although I'm not 100% certain I'll be chosen for either one at this point, I'm torn between two graphic design-related jobs that I've recently interviewed for. And even though I may be rejected by one anyway, I thought I'd post about it on here.

I interviewed at a Learning Curve, local toy company, for a several-month internship which will begin in the fall and involves designing toy packaging, toy show setup, and possible photography. As a toy geek and creative person, I'd love to do it, and my likelihood of getting it seems very positive.

Last week, however, I interviewed for a temporary job with Pearson, a major international textbook publisher and producer of education materials. But the job ended up not being what I thought and simply involves creating multiple choice questions for online Flash-based quizes - mainly just tweaking coding with no creativity and no print production. The pros and cons of both jobs are as follows:

Pearson pros:
It's a high profile company and will probably look great on my resume despite not being creative or what I consider true graphic design. It's also high paying.

Pearson cons:
It doesn't quite fit the field I want to be in; the interviewers didn't even need to see my design portfolio since it's irrelevant to the position. I'll have to temporarily move (which is okay) and drive a half-hour or so to the job. I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to come back to my current job, should I not be able to get another design job while working at Pearson.

Learning Curve pros:
It would certainly be more in my favored field of creative production work
and would probably provide better experience for the kind of jobs I want in life. It's only ten minutes away from home and very close to where I currently work. My flexible schedule would allow switching back and forth between LC and my current job throughout the week.

Learning Curve cons:
It's not as major a company as Pearson. The pay will be somewhat less. It might not look as good on my resume, simply because of name recognition.

Pearson wants to hire very soon, while the LC internship won't start for several weeks. Both jobs will last until about March '11. I'm thinking if Pearson offers, I'll probably take it, but part of me wishes they don't and that I get the LC internship instead. The latter was originally supposed to start in July but delayed. I almost want to call and ask if they'd consider starting it sooner.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
donmcc

Remember that a portfolio is a key component to future positions you might get. It sounds like the Pearson job will not add to your portfolio, while the other one might.

Good luck ... let's hope that at least one of these comes through for you.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

First...congrats on getting 2 interviews...

Just going with my gut, the Learning Curve position sounds like it would be a enjoyable while letting you learn about new stuff. That said, questions you might see if Pearson would answer--or see if you might be able to discover yourself via browser searches--are:

1. Does Pearson have other departments that do the type of work you are interested in?

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then are there any openings within those departments and/or would it be possible to transfer from one department to another--if you took the position you described, would it be a possible platform for you to jump into another position within the company that is more in line with where you'd like to be working in the future?

3. If the answer to #1 is no, then possibly accept the position for the money it offers knowing that you will continue to look for something that suits you (and your future) better.

Hope that helps and keep us posted on what happens...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The Pearson job sounds as if it could be done by a computer! <g>

You don't say how old you are nor whether you are looking for a "job for life" if anyone in the USA does?

I'd go for the job I'd be happy doing with a real creative element in it. Learning Curve is not unknown and I don't see it as bad on any resume if you are anywhere in the relatively early part of your career.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Susie

I'm going to jump in here. Terrie has some great points, but it seems to me that taking a job in your field, even if the pay is less, will be far better on your resume, and most likely will lead to more opportunities in your chosen field. Just my humble opinion (but it's definitely what I would do).

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
susie: Terrie has some great points, but it seems to me that taking a job in your field, even if the pay is less, will be far better on your resume, and most likely will lead to more opportunities in your chosen field. Just my humble opinion (but it's definitely what I would do).
I agree with you...I just wanted to try to be...you know...what's the word I'm looking for...oh yeah! "grown-up" or maybe "mature"...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I agree with you...I just wanted to try to be...you know...what's the word I'm looking for...oh yeah! "grown-up" or maybe "mature"...'-}}
Well, you succeeded Very adult sounding and mature!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
susie: Well, you succeeded Very adult sounding and mature!
Oh yay!!! Probably the only time it's ever happened...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Oh yay!!! Probably the only time it's ever happened...'-}}
Now you can add that to your resume

Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
terrie
Staff