DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Word vs Acrobat guru needed!!

Over on INETPUB, a member is having a hard time dealing with fonts in Word files when he creates a PDF. He describes the problem in a thread entitled “Adobe Acrobat and newsletters,” which includes three enclosures to show the three different (and unacceptable) results of creating the PDF with Distiller, PDFWriter 3.0, and PDF995.

He works on Windows 98SE with Word 97; he doesn’t say which version of Distiller, but I suspect it isn’t too recent.

The problems all relate to the way the Broadway BT font shows up (or doesn’t show up) in the PDF.

Could someone come over there and help this guy? Or alternatively, give me some guidance, as I am over my head (and on the wrong platform) for this one.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

I'm not really sure what's going on but I suspect it's a defective font or as you noted something hinky on the part of Word (so what else is new...'-}})

The only thing I could suggest is that the guy copy then paste into a new document--making sure it looks "corect"--save it with a different name and try again...

I wonder if he saved the Word file as a ".rft" if the formatting would be saved--should be--and then try distilling again...

Really...until he answers your questions about Distiller version and font type, it's hard to know what to suggest...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

KT:

The problems all relate to the way the Broadway BT font shows up (or doesn’t show up) in the PDF

Broadway BT is 'Previewing and printing only' in the TT version. He might have better luck with the Mcrosoft version, which allows editable embedding. I've only made PDFs with Acrobat 5 onwards (which uses Distiller 5), but I'm not sure if he can use Acrobat 5.

I don't think it's Word, because documents of mine were made into PDFs with fairly early versions of Acrobat.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Can you show him how to find us here?
I'm having nothing more to do with Compuserve.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If it's Acrobat 4, that's the version whose rule re TT fonts was "If it doesn't explicitly say it's embeddable, don't embed it". Quite a few fonts created with a buggy version of ... what was it, Fontographer? ... had the embeddability byte set to some utterly wacko meaningless value. Which, since it wasn't one of the "go forth and embed this" values, Distiller took to mean "Thou shalt not" though that was almost surely not the intent of the font creators.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I'm not really sure what's going on but I suspect it's a defective font or as you noted something hinky on the part of Word (so what else is new...'-}})

The only thing I could suggest is that the guy copy then paste into a new document--making sure it looks "corect"--save it with a different name and try again...

I wonder if he saved the Word file as a ".rft" if the formatting would be saved--should be--and then try distilling again...

Really...until he answers your questions about Distiller version and font type, it's hard to know what to suggest...

Terrie
Thanks — I passed your advice along.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
I gave him the link, but he so far hasn’t taken me up on it. Sigh.

I will quote your earlier message to him, and tell him you sit here, like a lovely Buddha, ready to commune with him!

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
He may have come and read, as he said he “agreed” it was probably something to do with the font.

Looks as if he has solved his problem, for now, anyway. It’s a freebie job, so he doesn’t want to spend money on fonts or software just for that. He found a free font from Fonthead.com that suits him for the logo. So bye-bye Broadway!

Thanks, Steve.