Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Bits and PDF pieces

Steve:
Quote:
add-ins are likely to break until they're rewritten for 64-bit
The Adobe PDF add-in for Office 14 32-bit is already broken.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:
The Adobe PDF add-in for Office 14 32-bit is already broken.
That's a different animal. Adobe's PDF add-ins seem to break (read: require an upgrade to the next version of Acrobat) with every new version of Office. It's become so predictable an event that I suspect it's deliberate on their part. After all, it's an easy way for them to force users to pay for an Acrobat upgrade that they might otherwise skip.

In any case, we're wandering OT, as Office 14-32 bit is neither 64-bit or Mac Office 2011. Time to start a new thread?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Steve:
Quote:
require an upgrade to the next version of Acrobat
I have bad news for you: Office for Windows may need a new version of Acrobat before the PDF-maker add-in for Office 14 will work, although the helpful man on the Adobe forum said there might be an updated version of Acrobat 9. He also told me how to get Adobe PDF (a printer driver) to work properly, i.e. deselect the 'Use system fonts' in the Adobe PDF Proerties; he also said the contents items wouldn't be 'live'—and they're as dead as a doornail in the PDFs.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I have bad news for you: Office for Windows may need a new version of Acrobat before the PDF-maker add-in for Office 14 will work

Er ... isn't that roughly what I just suggested? Acrobat *always* needs an update for every new version of Office, or has for the last several Office updates.

>> He also told me how to get Adobe PDF (a printer driver) to work properly, i.e. deselect the 'Use system fonts' in the Adobe PDF Proerties; he also said the contents items wouldn't be 'live'—and they're as dead as a doornail in the PDFs.

Right, because it's the PDFMaker add-in that converts links in the original documents to links in the PDFs. There are third-party add-ins that perform similar services (and don't require repeated updates).

Office 2007 SP2 and Office 2010 both include Microsoft's PDF making feature, which does preserve links, at least in PPT. I haven't tried Word.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Steve:
Quote:
isn't that roughly what I just suggested? Acrobat always needs an update for every new version of Office, or has for the last several Office updates
I'm sorry: I thought you meant Office for the Macintosh, probably compounded by my faulty memory (except for things that happened when I was eight), which insisted that Acrobat 9 was released before Office 12—it was not. Perhaps Adobe doesn't believe anything is new in Office until the Mac version is out. If so, it's obvious snobbery!

The Microsoft PDF saver has some small print: it bars CFF fonts; it'll display them, but not embed them, even if they're OpenType. I like Adobe's CFF fonts.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Michael,

My mistake, I think. You wrote "Office 14" and I read "Office 2010". Which is also Office 14 but not the only one.

I recall now that you mentioned the problem with CFF fonts. Thanks for the reminder.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Steve:
Quote:
Which is also Office 14 but not the only one
You surprise me: do you mean that Office for the Mac isn't labelled Office 13?

The CFF problem is one that Microsoft could presumably eradicate, and should have done it, at the latest by Office 9 (2000), for CFF fonts form the bulk of OpenType fonts on the market. MS says that in Word you can embed 'TTF and OpenType' fonts (permissions allowing, but it does not tell you that means OpenType fonts that don't use CFF.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> You surprise me: do you mean that Office for the Mac isn't labelled Office 13?

Oh no, that'd never do. That'd mean it would have to come out before the new Windows version, Office 2010 aka 14 and clearly that's not going to happen.

>> The CFF problem is one that Microsoft could presumably eradicate, and should have done it, at the latest by Office 9 (2000), for CFF fonts form the bulk of OpenType fonts on the market. MS says that in Word you can embed 'TTF and OpenType' fonts (permissions allowing, but it does not tell you that means OpenType fonts that don't use CFF.

This is what comes of letting marketing write the feature "bullet points".

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Steve:
Quote:
Oh no, that'd never do. That'd mean it would have to come out before the new Windows version
It was purely superstition on Microsoft's part to follow version 12 (Office 2007) by version 14, but surely version 13 would do for those snooty Mac people; the imputed ill luck might wear off under the influence of their cool logic, and if it doesn't, well what's the matter with honest 13? At least it isn't X3.

Microsoft's decision in favour of TrueType fonts made sense when only those had the permission to allow embedding (or not), but OpenType CFF fonts have long had it too.