DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Acrobat conflicts with Word

We are having a problem with Acrobat killing Word on a couple of Windows computer. I found a suggested fix on the Internet that requires removing the PDF Maker gizmo that adds a button to the tool bar. But I'm wondering if anyone else knows more about this.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Andrew:

Acrobat killing Word on a couple of Windows computers

I never had any problems with Acrobat 5 or 6 (I haven't tried 7) with Word 2000 or 2003, but mine is a stand-alone computer: there might be problems with networks, perhaps. Try removing makepdf.dot from the start-up file, because it's the only connexion between Acrobat and Word that I know of.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
We are having a problem with Acrobat killing Word on a couple of Windows computer. I found a suggested fix on the Internet that requires removing the PDF Maker gizmo that adds a button to the tool bar. But I'm wondering if anyone else knows more about this.
FWIW, I've never been able to successfully create a PDF from Word X (Mac) with the Acrobat Pro 6 toolbar tool. The progress bar gets almost to the end, then sits there indefinitely. The only recourse is to force-quit Word.

However, printing to the installed Adobe PDF printer works well, and quickly.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Anne:

The progress bar gets almost to the end, then sits there indefinitely

You have to wait some time in Word for Windows until the PDF is finished, and the screen changes are most alarming, but Adobe gets there in the end. It just needs lots of patience. Perhaps it's faster with a super-duper computer.

But that doesn't appear to be Andrew's problem, because even if makepdf.dot doesn't work in your case, it shouldn't interfere with Word.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks. I'll look into that.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

A couple things to watch out for:

If the printer driver's set to make a file rather than print, everything goes pearshaped when you use PDFMaker. OTOH, it'd probably do the same when printing directly to the Adobe PDF driver.

ISTR one Windows version used to occasionally toss up a message box asking for a yes/no answer, but it'd disappear immediately behind the app or a progress dialog so you couldn't see it. Until you saw it and clicked an answer, nothing was going to happen.

Might try moving things around to see if you can unearth something of that nature.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
You have to wait some time in Word for Windows until the PDF is finished, and the screen changes are most alarming, but Adobe gets there in the end. It just needs lots of patience. Perhaps it's faster with a super-duper computer.
I left it for four hours once, just to see what would happen. It definitely doesn't work.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
A couple things to watch out for:

If the printer driver's set to make a file rather than print, everything goes pearshaped when you use PDFMaker. OTOH, it'd probably do the same when printing directly to the Adobe PDF driver.

ISTR one Windows version used to occasionally toss up a message box asking for a yes/no answer, but it'd disappear immediately behind the app or a progress dialog so you couldn't see it. Until you saw it and clicked an answer, nothing was going to happen.

Might try moving things around to see if you can unearth something of that nature.
I've sat and watched it often enough to feel pretty certain that it isn't the disappearing dialogue box, Steve. After all, when something's only going to take a few seconds, and you need to do something with the result, it's often the case that you'll sit and watch.

The Word files I do that with are all from PC users, btw. I don't do Word myself, prefering to use InDesign and export to PDF when I feel the urge to share with other people.

Of course, my version of Word is about three years old, and definitely older than Acrobat 6 Pro. I'm happy enough with the workaround, and have never bothered to pursue a solution on the Adobe forums. Just thought it was worth mentioning here.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:48 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Anne:

I left it for four hours once

I reckon on up to 10 min now, but when I first tried it I decided that it wasn't working after about 5 min seeing nothing apparently happening; but 4 h seems excessive!

You did, of course, turn off Word's security setting that prevents (in Windows) macros' working.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #10
Michael Rowley

Anne:

my version of Word is about three years old

Acrobat 5 was, I think, the first version that included PDFMaker.dot, and it worked all right with Word 9 (2000).

PDFMaker.dot does invoke Distiller of course, but it gives you an opportunity to make all the settings you want. A lot of the time is actually spent getting Distiller loaded and then Acrobat.