DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default A weird pdf

I'm using OSX and a Mac with InDesign CS3.

Sometimes a publisher I work for reprints old titles were the text isn't available. They have a printed book scanned and provide me with the scans in a pdf. I then add new prelims etc. Sometimes I pull the pdf into InDesign CS3 so that I can edit it by pasting in new text where necessary or blocking out text that must be deleted. So far it has always worked fine but today I have one that is acting oddly.

I have the pdf. I can place it into InDesign CS3 (I use Scott Zanelli's PdfPlacer script). I can print the InDesign pages to an HP laser printer.

However, when I try to make a pdf from InDesign I just get black pages. A couple of times I have managed to make a pdf where the page content sometimes appears briefly (for a fraction of a second) as I turn the pages but it then disappears.

I've tried converting the original pdf to PostScript and then back to pdf (both using Distiller and Preview). The new pdfs look fine but when I place them into ID and make a new pdf it's just blank pages. I should add that anything I add in ID prints fine - it's just the pdf pages that won't print.

Does anyone have any ideas or is anyone able to take a look at the pdf to see if they can see anything odd about it?

Oh yes, the reason I want to put this file into ID is to add running heads and alter the pages numbers which, for some unknown reason, start at 5.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote