DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
EllenD

Default Requesting Paper Samples

Hello,

Could someone please tell me how to go about ordering a paper sample booklet from a paper company? I am not a production house, merely a designer who would like to have a stash of paper samples to reference when working on projects. I have a few that are nicely produced and spiral bound with different paper weights of the same "family". (I believe I was given these from a print shop rep. a year or so ago.) I have been using a new kind of paper that I am liking and would love to have the rest of their samples at hand. Do I need to work in a print shop in order to receive this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
EllenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ellend: I have been using a new kind of paper that I am liking and would love to have the rest of their samples at hand.
Have you contacted the paper company and asked for samples? I'll bet they would send you their samples.

What's the paper you've been using that you like--yes...my name is T and I'm a paperholic...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
donmcc

Check the paper wholesalers. There are a couple in each major city (your print shop can let you know who to talk to). They will stop in the next time they are in your town, and give you a whack of sample books.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I know things have been changing fast, but paper companies used to deluge designers with samples, both by mail and in person, with a rep coming by to show off the newest colors, textures, etc.

Since I am retired, I only get a few offerings these days (and I imagine things may have changed since the heydays of the 80s and 90s), but one way the paper mills got prospects was from subscribers to the design magazines (Print, How, Graphic Design USA, Step, Communication Arts, etc.) Those magazines also often have coupons inviting designers to ask for samples. Some have paper samples bound in, along with coupons.

But I should say that times have changed (or are changing), so perhaps I am describing past practices. People keep saying print is dead.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
EllenD

Thanks everyone Those are great ideas and I will give them a whirl!

Terrie -- I'm a paperholic too! The one I am looking for is Endeavour Velvet from Spicers Paper. It has a nice, smooth feel and the ink really pops on it.
EllenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ellend: Terrie -- I'm a paperholic too!
Best people are...'-}}

>>The one I am looking for is Endeavour Velvet from Spicers Paper. It has a nice, smooth feel and the ink really pops on it.

Sounds really nice...

Keep us posted on what happens with getting the samples...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
groucho
Staff

Ellen, every paper company has their own policies. Usually they will respond best to a person actually coming in--and some of them have fabulous "playrooms" for samples. But you would start with sending them a cover letter, on your letterhead, introducing yourself, explaining why you want to work with their unique products, perhaps what project you have immediately in mind for them, and making a request for the amount of samples that you need, or for anything similar that they can provide to you.
If you just say "I want" sometimes that can be taken the wrong way. If you say that you'd like to present your client with a choice of five stocks "if possible" or ask for something open like "any accomodation" that gives them the chance to be generous and sometimes they really can be.
But you need to convince them of your professionalism, whether it is "I've just graduated and I'm turning my degree and passion into a business" or "I've been doing this for 20 years and never been as excited by new paper stocks".

Somtimes a phone call up front to just ask what their policies are and who you could meet or write to will open the door. All depends on what you're more comfortable doing for that first contact.

In the worst case and they say NO! then you can always ask if there are any local printers or merchants who have recently ordered that stock, and then try to get a few pieces from them. If a printer has the stock on hand--that might also be the printer to work with.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote