DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

First...welcome to the forum...'-}}

I'm an HP person when it comes to laser printers but an Epson person when it comes to inkjets so I don't have any experience with the HP 2800 or 7000...

I think you are correct in thinking that an inkjet would be what you want for cards but let me ask you some questions about them:

1. What size cards--unfolded?

2. Which cardstock? Fairly heavy or lightweight?

3. Print both sides?

4. Selling the cards?

I really like Strathmore Creative Cards cardstock. It's got some heft to it and the texture is nice. The leading edge (when folded) is deckled, it comes with envelopes which are expensive and the edge of the envelope is also deckled. It's just lovely stuff.

As I noted above I'm partial to Epson for inkjets and if I were going to be printing stuff no wider than 13", then I'd probably look at the Epson Photo printers such as the following:

1. The Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - lists for $299

2. The Epson Stylus Photo 1900 - lists for $399

3. The Epson Stylus Photo 2880 - lists for $599

I'd probably lean toward the Epson 2880 with the Ultrachrome K3 inks because my guess is that you'd more easily find paper profiles for the cardstock you might use.

I have an Epson 4000 (wide format, prints up to 17" wide) which is what I use to print the Strathmore Creative Cards cardstock and I had a custom paper profile created so I get excellent screen to print match. I also use it to print larger images on 3rd party papers--I really like Hawk Mountain Art Papers paper.

I also have an HP 2200D laser printer. I really don't know much about color lasers but given my good experience with the HP b/w laserjets, I'd probably lean towards HP if I were looking to get a color laser printer...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote