DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Mac Townsend

Default PS CS5 update

I closed my service bureau but still want to tinker with PShop. So I bought the CS5 Pshop upgrade. Only to discover that one cannot upgrade a suite to an individual product. Even though I only have PS CS2 installed on one machine, the s/n is suite number and CS5 version PS won't accept the serial number for the upgrade.

Looks like I'm out $200. (bad words inserted here...for several paragraphs)

I wrote the CS5 s/n on the DVD disc already, so I don;t think i can return it to Amazon. (writing S/N on disc is a standard procedure for me sicne disc usually become separated from the envelope they came in...and over 25 years worth of stuff, it accumulates. Found a WordStar 4 CPM disc the other day. Gad, was that an upgrade!

Anyone have any ideas? (or anyone have a PS stand alone CS2 or newer that would like CS5 upgrade?)

I'll try calling Adobe Monday, but I don't think JC either remembers me or can do anything about it<BG>
Mac Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mac: Anyone have any ideas? (or anyone have a PS stand alone CS2 or newer that would like CS5 upgrade?)
If Adobe doesn't make you happy--I'd also check with Amazon too--then I'd probably sell it on ebay.

If you do go the ebay route, write something in the description for why you are sellling it and why the s/n is written on the disk so forestall any ideas that you are selling a bootlegged copy...

Just had another idea...check ebay for what full versions of Photoshop CS2 or CS3--whichever you can use to upgrade to 5--are going for...might be easier to do that in the long run??

Terrie

PS...any way to remove the s/n from the disk without destroying it?
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
PS...any way to remove the s/n from the disk without destroying it?
Probably not if he used a Sharpie - that's what I use, but it is permanently marked.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
susie: Probably not if he used a Sharpie - that's what I use, but it is permanently marked.
Yeah...that's what I figured...I don't mark my CD/DVDs--my own or software. What I do is to put an easy peel label on the jewelcase and I write the s/n on the label.

Of course, this presumes that the CD/DVD does not get separated from the jewelcase...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Susie

Quote:
Of course, this presumes that the CD/DVD does not get separated from the jewelcase...'-}
Which is why I now mark mine with a Sharpie. I'm forever losing the jewel case my software comes in, and lately, most software doesn't even come with a jewel case, just a basic envelope with window.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
susie: I'm forever losing the jewel case my software comes in, and lately, most software doesn't even come with a jewel case, just a basic envelope with window.
I have my own jewel cases--the slim ones--so I just use one of those and I have all my software cd/dvds together in one drawer of a rolling 3 drawer storage thingie...

Terrie
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Susie

Quote:
I have my own jewel cases--the slim ones--so I just use one of those and I have all my software cd/dvds together in one drawer of a rolling 3 drawer storage thingie...
You obviously have much more storage than I do. A year ago, I moved from my big four bedroom house to a much smaller townhome. I had had enough of all the maintenance that goes with a big house.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Mac Townsend

standalone versions of CS2 PShop are going for around $200. Putting the tab a bit higher than I want to go.
Mac Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mac: standalone versions of CS2 PShop are going for around $200. Putting the tab a bit higher than I want to go.
That's a bit higher than I thought it would be going for...

Why do you need the full version? If you have Photoshop 7, you could get the upgrade to CS2--I think?

Terrie
Old 06-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
groucho
Staff

"I wrote the CS5 s/n on the DVD disc already,"
Mac, if you used a Sharpie? Plain alcohol will remove it without damaging the disc. Rubbing alcohol, vodka...a terry cloth or paper towel and it should be gone.

"Found a WordStar 4 CPM disc " Make me an offer for my WS4 floppies, manual, AND the tech support binder.<G> MS-DOS not CP/M though.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote