DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
Laurie

Default InDesign/Preflight Problem

Hello.

We recently converted a book from PageMaker7 to InDesign CS4. It went smoothly for the most part, but preflight flagged a few problems with headers and seems happy with a strange solution.

In a few of the chapters, the headers are only accepted by Preflight if the frames of those headers extend out beyond the right margin. In one chapter, the frame extends out beyond the document. This is the only way we can get Preflight to accept these pages and the only way we can get the text to appear in the right place.

We use a tab in the headers, to align the text to the right margin.

We have tried changing the tab setting, but when we do, Preflight flags an error.

I suppose we can create a pdf and send the book to the printer, but it would be nice to solve this problem first. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the text to fit in the header frame while keeping the frame the width of the page? The text is not long at all, for example "Index".

Thanks.

Laurie
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

It sounds as if the tab has some associated space (or invisible content).

But why are you using a tab at all? Why not set the header text to flush right?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Laurie

My partner does the formatting. He said he is using a "right tab" and aligns the text with that.

In the header, there is a page number on one side and the chapter title on the opposite side. Do you mean we should separate these two thiings with right aligning? In some programs, the whole line gets right aligned when you do that.

Laurie
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Howard Allen

I wonder if something is funky with the tab ruler (e.g. maybe a left-tab marker sitting on top of the right indent marker so you can't see it, or something like that). Maybe try clearing all the tabs in the header frame (right-click the tab ruler) and re-inserting a right tab. I tried messing around in CS3 and couldn't reproduce your problem.

Could there be some invisible overset text in the frame (e.g. extra tab characters, or a column/page feed character, "sticky" spaces, etc.)? If so, there should be a red box with a "+" sign on the right edge of the frame to indicate overset text.

If the header content isn't too complex, it might be worth trashing the header frame in the master page and recreating it from scratch.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
My partner does the formatting. He said he is using a "right tab" and aligns the text with that.
FWIW, I always use two text boxes for these sorts of headers. One on the left is left-aligned, while the one on the right is right-aligned.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:

In the header, there is a page number on one side and the chapter title on the opposite side. Do you mean we should separate these two thiings with right aligning? In some programs, the whole line gets right aligned when you do that.
Nope — that won’t work. I didn’t realize you had both left and right-aligned text on a single line.

But I would still avoid using tabs. I would usually do it the way Ann does — with two boxes, one flush left, the other flush right.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Laurie

Yes, thre is a red box with a plus sign on the right edge of the frame and preflight says there is overset text. But when we delete everything (all spaces, etc.) between the page number and the chapter title, then try again, the same problem occurs.

The master header frame works fine in about 30 chapters. Only two chapters have the problem.

Will check for the other things you mentioned and see if we can solve the mystery tomorrow. Many thanks!

Laurie
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Laurie

Thanks! I'll let you know if that's what ends up working for us.

Laurie
Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, thre is a red box with a plus sign on the right edge of the frame and preflight says there is overset text. But when we delete everything (all spaces, etc.) between the page number and the chapter title, then try again, the same problem occurs.
I would be willing to bet that the frames that are giving you problems are slightly less-deep than the ones that work right. When the frame is smaller than the leading value, you can get overset errors. Also, check to see if you have a return at the end of the line--if so, try removing it. That can cause the overset mark.

Finally, if all the above fail, and you are sure there is no content being overset, ignore the warning in preflight.

--don

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Laurie

Don,

The frames are all the same size and depth, based on master headers.

The preflight warning disappears when we extend the frame out beyond the page. Since preflight indicates no errors with the frames extended that way, we'll just leave them with the extended frame. The text sits in the right location; the frame extension is empty (no text and nothing else). Perhaps it's an anomaly caused during the conversion from PageMaker 7.

Thanks.

Laurie