DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Laurie

Default Does PM 7 work on a Win 7 computer (64 bit)?

Hi there!

Does anyone know if PageMaker 7 will work on a Windows 7 64-bit computer and if so, did you encounter any difficulties?

I do not have an XP compatible version of Windows 7, but it does have a folder called "Program Files (x86)" and I have been able to run several old computer programs.

Although all recent work of ours is done in InDesign, we need to edit something that was created in PageMaker 7 and that would take a lot of work to convert to InDesign, so I'd love to be able to make the edits in PageMaker.

Thanks!

Laurie

Last edited by Laurie; 05-19-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Hi, Laurie,

According to this thread on the Adobe forums, you can try it. Some claim to have success, and if you just need to edit a single document, it might work for you.

Nothing venture, nothing gain.

If it doesn’t work, maybe you can borrow an old PC somewhere just for this one task.

Good luck. Let us know how you fare.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Laurie

Hey, Kathleen.

I might try installing it (even though most replied in that thread were skeptical about the possibility of PM7 running under Win 7), and if I do, I'll let you know if it worked. I only need to edit a few text pages.

We actually have PM7 on an older PC here, so if PM7 doesn't work with Win 7, I'll take it out of storage and use it to make the corrections.

Thanks.

Laurie
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Sounds like a good plan.

I grapple all the time with old files and formats; I too was a PageMaker fan, but beyond that, I have text files on ancient disks, PageMaker files on several old formats, etc.

Wonder how anyone will read our pearls of wisdom in 2050?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

If you do try installing it, try right mouse clicking on the exe file that starts the program andd select Properties / Compatibility TAB and set the Compatibility back to the version you know it runs on; and check the box at the bottom for Run As Adminisstrator and see if that helps.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
BobRoosth

If it does not, and you have 7 Pro or Ultimate, you have the option of install XPmode, which gives you an entire XP installation running virtually. If you go that route, get in touch with me. I have it running here and on one client's computer.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Oh, good — you have a spirit of adventure.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
John Spragens

Another option is the free VMware Player (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/), which now lets you create virtual machines as well as run them. You'd need a copy of XP, or some other Windows version that's compatible with PM7, to install in the virtual machine.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
BobRoosth

I have that as well. XPMode runs better for me. It also has a feature the free VMWare does not have: XP applications can run in a windows as if they were Win 7 apps. Drive letter assignments and printing can be a bit tricky to set up, as can persistent connections to USB devices. But USB devices that will not work in Win 7 will still connect and operate in XPMode.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
JVegVT

I disagree slightly with Hugh. Try to install it the usual way before you try any compatibility settings or Run as Administrator. If those don't work, THEN try Run as Administrator or Compatibility or both together.

I've never had any luck with Compatibility in either Windows 7 or Vista. If the program is truly incompatible, it won't magically become compatible by picking an earlier OS in compatibility settings. Run as Administrator, however, is sometimes necessary with older programs that can't deal with an administrator/user distinction.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote