DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 05-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Bill Murmann

Default Got my $$$ back!

A while ago, I posted a message complaining about the Gateway Computer Company. I ordered a memory module from them for my Gateway computer. They sent the wrong part and refused to allow me to return it and also refused to refund my money.

After getting nowhere with complaints to Gateway, I contacted my credit card company and disputed the charge. They issued a temporary credit to my account and contacted Gateway regarding the disputed charge.

I found out today that Gateway never responded to the credit-card company's investigation, so consequently a permanent refund was credited to my account.

I got my money back and Gateway came out of it with a black eye. You wonder why a company like Gateway would engage in such counterproductive business practices?

Personally, I doubt that I would ever buy another Gateway computer. What did they think they were gaining from being so hardnosed with one of their customers over an $80 charge? Dummies.

BTW, I'm assuming that I am now free to sell the 256MB memory module that they sent me and refused to allow me to return. (??)

--Bill
Bill Murmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

That's great news! Congratulations, Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann
BTW, I'm assuming that I am now free to sell the 256MB memory module that they sent me and refused to allow me to return. (??)
I'm don't know the legally correct answer to that one. I suppose, were I in your spot and knowing my tendency to procrastinate when I don't know what to do <g>, I'd end up hanging onto it for at least six months (probably a year or more, because I'd forget!) to see if Gateway or whomever came asking about it. If nothing happened, then I'd decide what to do.

When in doubt, procrastinate. <g>

Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Good for you, Bill! I imagine you're entitled to do whatever you want with it, but you might wait a bit to see if Gateway twitches from the credit card reversal. I kind of doubt anybody there will bother to try to match it up with your transaction, though. Wonder how many of those they get every month?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
Bill Murmann

<<...When in doubt, procrastinate...>>

Sounds like great advice--of course, I'll have to think about it for awhile. <g>

--Bill
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
Bill Murmann

<<...Wonder how many of those they get every month?...>>

I don't know. But if they get a lot of them, sooner or later their business is going to be in big trouble. If you don't take care of your customers, pretty soon you won't have any.

Years ago, back during the CB radio boom, I remember going to a local electronics store for advice and parts. This place sold HAM radio equipment, and the staff had ill-concealed contempt for the lowly CB radio crowd. They took their sweet time waiting on you--and in my case took advantage of my ignorance to sell me an expensive piece of equipment that I didn't need.

After I found out what they had done, I never went back--and took some satisfaction about six months later to see that they had gone out of business. Served them right.

--Bill
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
donmcc

Good news.

Isn't it nice to know that when they were too "busy" to respond to your complaints effectively, they were also too busy to deal with the CC company. Sounds like a company that is having some capacity problems.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:46 AM   #7
Bill Murmann

<<...Sounds like a company that is having some capacity problems...>>

Yes. Problems of some kind. 'Fessing up to sending a wrong part and offering a refund and/or exchange ought to be a no-brainer for any company. You would think that it would be just a matter of good customer relations--not to mention honesty.

If my experience is an indication of how Gateway does business, then I won't be surprised if they go under some day.

--Bill
Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

>>Billm: BTW, I'm assuming that I am now free to sell the 256MB memory module that they sent me and refused to allow me to return. (??)

First...congrats on getting your money back...

What I might do about the module is to write a letter to Gateway--send it "return receipt" so you have a paper trail--telling them that having received the refund via your credit card because they never responded to the credit card company's investigation that you now consider the module yours and that you plan to sell it. Tell them that you expect a response by such and such a date and that if you've not heard from them by that date, that they agree that the module is yours to do with what you please--I'd give them a date 2 weeks after you mail the letter.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann
<<...Wonder how many of those they get every month?...>>

I don't know. But if they get a lot of them, sooner or later their business is going to be in big trouble. If you don't take care of your customers, pretty soon you won't have any.

--Bill
Here in Dallas, they have shut down all (that I know about) stores. That should tell you something!

Susie

Old 05-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>susie: Here in Dallas, they have shut down all (that I know about) stores. That should tell you something!

They've closed all their stores here in the DC area too...but they are running ads on tv so I guess they are regouping...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote