DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 05-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Tracking down 'Bermuda'

I just opened a poster I did last year to reuse it. CorelDraw prompted me for a substitute font for "Bermuda Solid" - which I must have had last June, but seems not to be installed any more.

I could use "Party" I suppose, but it doesn't fit the design as well.

Does anyone have any idea where it would have come from? I didn't buy it for this charity job, so it must have been installed from one of my application CDs (I am conscientious about not ripping off fonts!), though I cannot see where just now.

(Suggested sources: Corel - definitely not on CD; Office, PhotoShop, PaintShop Pro)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Lois:

Does anyone have any idea where it would have come from?

I've got a PS font, 'Bermuda LP Squiggle', with Adobe's name, but I don't know where I got it from either. It may have come with an old Paint Shop program, and I've bits of Corel Draw.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:53 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman
I just opened a poster I did last year to reuse it. CorelDraw prompted me for a substitute font for "Bermuda Solid" … Does anyone have any idea where it would have come from? I didn't buy it for this charity job, so it must have been installed from one of my application CDs (I am conscientious about not ripping off fonts!), though I cannot see where just now.

(Suggested sources: Corel - definitely not on CD; Office, PhotoShop, PaintShop Pro)
Adobe sells this family and bundled another member (Bermuda Squiggle) with some application sometime before 2000, but am fairly certain it does not include any fonts with Photoshop. Microsoft didn’t ship it with Office for the Mac, and I would be surprised to find that it shipped it with anything (MS usually ships fonts it owns all rights to, and this one seems to be available only under license).

Both Adobe and Agfa Monotype sell the Bermuda family but it belongs to LetterPerfect, which also sells directly. You could contact them to ask if they licensed Solid to anyone who might have bundled it with an app you have.

If all else fails, you can buy the single font for $35 (or get all of them for $99) at the LetterPerfect web site. Right now they have a special 20% discount for downloaded fonts.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
I've got a PS font, 'Bermuda LP Squiggle', with Adobe's name, but I don't know where I got it from either. It may have come with an old Paint Shop program, and I've bits of Corel Draw.
Adobe included Bermuda Squiggle with some application in 2000. I thought it was Illustrator, but it could have been with anything.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

Thanks KT - I will have another look on my various Adobe CDs (I don't have Illustrator...). I'm not shelling out for a freebie job though!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman
Thanks KT - I will have another look on my various Adobe CDs (I don't have Illustrator...). I'm not shelling out for a freebie job though!
I don’t think Adobe gave away Bermuda Solid, only Squiggle, which shows outlines of the letters with squiggly lines inside. It might have come with InDesign.

It looks like this (don’t know if it would do even if you can find it in your files):