DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
TooLoose_LeTrek

Default Commercial Level DPI

I'm self-publishing a book, writing it in MS Word 2007, creating my graphics in CorelDraw X4 and Adobe Illustrator, printing music (yes, it's a music book) in Finale 2009. All my graphics are B&W and not very complicated, very little grey tones (just a few files), but for the most part, all black and white.

I'm trying to decide on the best format for everything to make it easy to create both a rough draft in Word and then later, in Adobe InDesign.

What DPI do I need for really crisp graphics so I don't have to redo them later? A printer told me commercial level graphics are 1200 dpi.

In Coreldraw, I export to MS Office set to commercial level. That is PNG at 300 dpi, I believe. I can also export as TIFF, and PDF. I use Adobe PDF for full page text (music.) My music program exports both TIFF and or EPS.

If I sound like I don't quite know what I'm doing, you have strong powers of observation.

What is the easiest (but good quality) file format to use for graphics between Microsoft Office and Adobe...and what dpi resolution do I want to use?

Thanks.
TooLoose_LeTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
donmcc

1200 dpi is the normal professional level of output for vector items. Photos and similar materials can be done as low as 200 ppi, but 300 ppi is more common. If your program can save the graphics in EPS as vector, then you don't need to worry about resolution at all.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Benwiggy

Err.... VECTOR artwork has NO resolution! It appears the same at any magnification/scaling. If you use EPS and PDF, then you will keep the vector data, and your work will look perfect. That is the beauty of vector data.

If you use TIFF or other bitmapped (i.e. pixellated) image format, then yes, you need 1200dpi for line-art (black & white only, no grey).

You have posted a number of queries about this music book project. In another one, I suggested that you REALLY need to consult someone who knows about print production or book design, face-to-face, in front of the project -- and pay for their advice!
Otherwise you run the very real risk of something going terribly wrong, or just not being as you or your audience would want it. If you're funding the project yourself, mistakes are expensive!

The kind of graphics that are suitable for use in MS Word are not the sort that are suitable for Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, etc. And vice versa.

I would not advise doing a rough draft in Word for a book project that you will later create in InDesign.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
TooLoose_LeTrek

Thanks for the information. I know you have given me this advice before (to consult with knowledgeable in book design/publishing. I cannot afford that. My choices are to do it this way, or not do it. I'm serious.

These are very rough financial times. I'm doing the best I can. If you know of any publications I can borrow from the library on this subject, that would be helpful.

PS - My target area for this book is not the NY Times bestseller list, and I doubt I'll be nominated for a Pulitzer or Nobel Prize.
TooLoose_LeTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Michael Beloved

I had luck moving black and white line drawings as well as grey scale art work into Word files from Illustrator and from Expression Design.

In a few rare cases, where there was some change as a graphic crossed over from Illustrator into Word, making a pit stop in Expression Design solved the problem.

I have published over 10 books in that way and never used Indesign.
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoose_LeTrek View Post
If you know of any publications I can borrow from the library on this subject, that would be helpful.
Any book about print production, such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/All-New-Print-.../dp/294036138X

would be a start.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote