DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
I figured some of you fellow designers might like to gimme some feedback.
Aside from technical stuff—like the steering wheel doesn't look enough like a G for that design to read easily—it is impossible to give a meaningful critique of a logo (or any design) in a vacuum.

Who are you talking to—tell us the target market, demographic, etc.?
What are you trying to say to them—What's the WIIFM, the USP?

If we knew those things, we could give you better feedback.

--don

Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy View Post
Who are you talking to—tell us the target market, demographic, etc.?
What are you trying to say to them—What's the WIIFM, the USP?

If we knew those things, we could give you better feedback.
Hell, I doubt the people who run the company could tell you that. They barely contributed to their own website, and the "logo" on their building is pure garbage. You make a find point though, Don.

In short, it's a local (Midwest) used car/repair/towing business. So I figure they might gravitate toward a logo that's somewhat bold and straightforward. It blows my mind how someone can start a business and have no regard for a logo or visual identity, which we all know is key to marketing and brand identification.

What's more, their site host is the one paying for my logo. I was simply told the logos look "great" and to send a bill. I responded with a bill and asked specifically which one he wanted so I could send a larger version to suit his needs. I'm guessing the host will choose a logo for 'em.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ronald: which we all know is key to marketing and brand identification.
Probably not so much for a local shop that probably relies--at least somewhat--on word of mouth for business and more than likely has never heard of or cares about branding. The car repair place I currently use which is excellent has probably one of the crappiest logos I've ever seen...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Probably not so much for a local shop that probably relies--at least somewhat--on word of mouth for business and more than likely has never heard of or cares about branding. The car repair place I currently use which is excellent has probably one of the crappiest logos I've ever seen...'-}}
Yep. Really ugly automotive shop logos around here as well. There are certain types of local businesses that seem not to know or care anything about branding and marketing. I think often the shop is set up first, maybe filling a small gap in the local service market. They may have been doing some work on the side and have acquired a small clientele already, not even thinking about competing with other shops for business. If the business grows large enough to be competitive with other businesses of its ilk, or successful enough to have opened more than one shop then maybe they've thought about their logo a little bit. But it's probably still ugly.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post

Terrie
Yeah, I realize this is very common among local businesses. And the owner of an auto shop probably isn't likely to be the most stylish or creative person around. But still, for the sake of advertising (particularly print) and general recognition ("Go four blocks into town. It's the place with the giant blue wrench"), the importance of a logo shouldn't be overlooked.

Here's their site so far. They do have what could be defined as a logo, but if one is going to use such little effort as seen here, why even bother?

http://www.georgenauto.com/
Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: If the business grows large enough to be competitive with other businesses of its ilk, or successful enough to have opened more than one shop then maybe they've thought about their logo a little bit. But it's probably still ugly.
LOL!! I think you've hit it just right...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Logo? I think my car repair place's logo is whatever font the sign painter chose to paint the name of the place on the front of the cinderblock building.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Someone needs to whisper "DOWNSAMPLE THE IMAGES" gently into their ears. About 120db ought to do it. 2500 pixels wide is a bit much. ;-)

And when you get right to it, do the pictures have anything to do with ... um ... anything? Other than contributing to the ugliness?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Someone needs to whisper "DOWNSAMPLE THE IMAGES" gently into their ears. About 120db ought to do it. 2500 pixels wide is a bit much. ;-)

And when you get right to it, do the pictures have anything to do with ... um ... anything? Other than contributing to the ugliness?
Precisely. I hope I'm asked to design the site since I did the logo for it - maybe shoot some photos too. But I asked if they needed my help on that when I sent the logo and my question seemed to be ignored. It would be a nice simple project and potential portfolio piece.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
Mike
Staff

Perhaps you should phone Click and Clack. I don't remember hearing any questions about repair shop logos on Car Talk.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote