DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing ā€” in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Susie

Default PC Scan Software

Does anybody have any experience with the program PC Scan which is supposed to scan your system for spyware, malware, etc. and help speed up your computer. It's made by Ascentive software. Any opinions? I'd like to check it out unless someone's had a bad experience with it. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Did a quick browser search using [ascentive +"pc scan" +review] (no brackets) and my bad vibe radar is going strong because of the sites that come up in the search--none of the legitimate review sites like CNET are coming up...

Take a look at this pissedconsumer.com link and this complaintsboard link...

I think it's a scam...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I'm not convinced it's a scam, but I'm also not convinced by the software itself, Susie. Registry optimisers frequently cause problems than they cure, and I bet PC Scan doesn't empty all your temp folders; as for antispyware, well, there is plenty of software out there with proven track records.

What security software do you have at present? (I ask because this will determine what I recommend.)

Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
robin: I'm not convinced it's a scam
Perhaps "scam" may be a bit strong but I'm very suspicious that the search results have lots and lots and lots of company urls and any "reviews" appear to be company sponsored...

Also read the info at coolcomputing and at complaintsboard (trojan and adware installed)...

If it's not a scam, it sounds like it's not worth whatever money they are charging for it...

Terrie
Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Take a look at this pissedconsumer.com link and this complaintsboard link...Terrie
Thanks, that's all I need to know.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
What security software do you have at present? (I ask because this will determine what I recommend.)
I'm using Kapersky Virus software, and it raised more than a few red flags itself on PCScan. I think that's all I need to know. If there is a legitimate program that might do this, I'd be interested, but not unless I hear that it's excellent, has excellent reviews, etc. etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Susie

Terrie - I responded to you, and I got the message that my post would be reviewed before it posted to the forum. Then I responded to Robin with no problems. What gives?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
susie: Terrie - I responded to you, and I got the message that my post would be reviewed before it posted to the forum. Then I responded to Robin with no problems. What gives?
Sorry about that...you got bitten by the unpredictable "your post will go into moderation" bug...I've approved your post...'-}}

I'm glad you are bypassing the Ascentive software...

For anti-malware, I've been using Malwarebyte Anti-Malware for about 6-8 months and I'm pleased with it--I use the free version. I used to use AdAware but their last update to the software drove me batty so I went looking for another and MBAM appears to be used and recommended by a number of reputable sites. I also have Spybot Search & Destroy which I run in addition to MBAM--you can use/run multiple anti-spyware but only one anti-virus...

Terrie
Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Susie

Thanks, Terrie. I'll take your advice. I'd downloaded the program last night and installed it, and let it fun a system scan. It found a ton of registry items which was what first got my hackles up - then I looked and it also loaded a whole bunch of other programs on my desktop. Also, my virus software started having fits during the installation process, and that should have been enough red flag for me. I learn slowly sometimes. I did a complete uninstall and made sure everything was gone. I have also downloaded the Revo Uninstall you recommended, so I'll be sure not a trace remains.

I'm amazed that I didn't stop and think anyway before installing this program. I'm normally extremely cautious, but I got swayed by all the ads that have been playing on the radio on my way to work. And I do know better.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
susie: I did a complete uninstall and made sure everything was gone. I have also downloaded the Revo Uninstall you recommended, so I'll be sure not a trace remains.
Revo Uninstall is really good at rooting out all the little bits and pieces--I use the "advance" option to get everything because it goes down to the registry level...

>> I'm amazed that I didn't stop and think anyway before installing this program. I'm normally extremely cautious, but I got swayed by all the ads that have been playing on the radio on my way to work. And I do know better.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it...happens to the best of us...'-}}

Terrie