DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

In January last year I bought my second Sony Ericsson phone – one with an 8 megapixel camera in it, because it was the only non-phone thing I used in my previous SE. And I've hated it ever since. It won't connect to my Mac (the previous one did, and there was nothing in the specifications I saw before buying it that said it would not talk to my Mac. The phone was hard to set up, and connecting it to the PC was a pain. Had to have a special app, and connect in just the right order. It lost photos I thought I'd downloaded to the PC, I couldn't work out how to add new ringtones, so I was stuck with the default. This is all probably my fault, but nothing about it was intuitive.

About three weeks ago, out of my initial plan, I gave in and bought a new iPhone 32G S and love it. It connects happily to the Mac, I have added ringtones, it does 3G and WiFi seamlessly, and taking photos and uploading them to Facebook or the Mac is easy as. I haven't registered it on my Windows laptop, but as it syncs automatically with iTunes, I imagine that it is probably close to being as easy as with a Mac. I've added a few apps and use them (love the one that finds my closest library!).

Of course, here we aren't limited to a single provider, so I was able to negotiate a plan with my existing provider, which has reasonable coverage and service.