DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
judy: think the upload side of my *asynchronous* DSL is just quite slow.
Ahhh...I wondered if that were the case. When I was first looking at getting a broadband account, if I had gone with DSL, it would have been ADSL and it took weeks to get the install so I went with Comcast--they did the install 2 days after I ordered.

Flash forward 4-5 years and DSL was available on 2-3 tiers--slow-ish (384k? 176k?? can't remember), better (3mb) and faster (can't remember how fast). Verizon was offering some good deals and a rebate so I decided to go with the least expensive (slow) option after doing a test at my next door neighbor's on her system (she had that Verizon plan) and it seemed fast enough.

However, when I actually started using it, I did some testing and the downloads were incredibly slow (barely above dial-up) from a site I'd downloaded from before (can't remember what it was now) and I'd not found it slow to download before.

I still had my Comcast broadband service (I kept it in case I decided to cancel Verizon) and so I hooked my modem back up and downloaded from the same site and the download was as fast as I'd remembered it. I hooked up the Verizon dsl modem again and tried downloading again and again it was soooo sloooowwww--this 3-4 minutes after I'd done the Comcast test so it wasn't that the time of day was all that different.

I posted a query about the problem at dslreports.com on the Verizon Direct forum--actual Verizon techs--and they basically said, that was the way it worked--even though I wasn't getting anywhere near the promised download speed for that tier of service. So, I upgraded my Verizon DSL plan to the next level--it was still less expensive than Comcast--and on the whole I was quite pleased with the service although I recently (December) went with FiOS broadband...

>>There's no way I could do online backups with the slowness of my uploads. Fortunately, I have five external hard drives plus DVD burners on my two desktop computers, so I'm not concerned about the impracticality of online backups for me.

I'm not sure I trust online backups and so I'd probably still use external drives and DVDs so I've not ever gotten around to investigating an online service...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote