DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
… how's your hot water situation? Have all the changes been made?
That needs another thread. Short answer, we are in pending mode. But we do have hot water now.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: That needs another thread.
I was too lazy to start one so thanks for doing that...'-}}

>>Short answer, we are in pending mode. But we do have hot water now.

Glad you have hot water...is it pending because all of the other work they recommended hasn't been started or is it pending because you want to wait longer to see how the system works over a longer period of time?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Glad you have hot water...is it pending because all of the other work they recommended hasn't been started or is it pending because you want to wait longer to see how the system works over a longer period of time?
I want to wait long enough to see how well it works without having my observations colored by fury.

The tankless unit now seems to work the way it is supposed to. I’m not sure it suits this house or us, however, but this is only the third day with full use of it properly set up, so I am not in a hurry to decide.

The problems were caused by the plumbers, and the owner of the firm finally stepped in. We have had four different plumbers here, plus the manufacturer of the tankless unit, plus a guy from the gas company who increased the capacity of our meter. We have had vents put in and replaced; had 3/8-inch gas pipes replaced with 1/2-inch pipes. I almost battered the manufacturer with my cane when he absolutely would not listen to me.

And that was just the fun stuff. What was not fun was four showers I took that went absolutely bone cold in about five minutes, mostly because the thing was incorrectly installed and set up and because no one instructed us in how to use it. And I do believe it is a super water-waster.

So, pending. We may yet decide to ask them to remove it and sell us a conventional unit.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: I want to wait long enough to see how well it works without having my observations colored by fury.
ROFL!!! I can certainly understand that approach...'-}}

>>The tankless unit now seems to work the way it is supposed to. I’m not sure it suits this house or us, however, but this is only the third day with full use of it properly set up, so I am not in a hurry to decide.

I glad that all the work has been done for proper installation--I remembered your discussion about the plumbing company owner and the manufacturer. It seems like they did all the work relatively quickly but then, I wasn't living in the midst of it. How long did it take them to get it all done?

>>I almost battered the manufacturer with my cane when he absolutely would not listen to me.

Why? I thought he was the one who saw that the initial installation was badly done.

>>What was not fun was four showers I took that went absolutely bone cold in about five minutes

Ohhh...ick! Not fun in the winter with winter water temps...

>>So, pending. We may yet decide to ask them to remove it and sell us a conventional unit.

Do keep us posted! I'm very curious...

Terrie
Old 03-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

KT:
Quote:
But we do have hot water now
I assumed that in the space heating and hot water line, USA would be streets ahead of Britain, but it seems that your common systems are not comparable with ours.

A little while ago, most households here had a gas-fired boiler supplying the hot-water radiators and the domestic hot-water tank. This is now frowned on: all new houses have a so-called combination boiler for the central heating and, on demand, for the hot water—there is no hot-water tank. New systems in existing houses have the same. For added efficiency, the combination boiler is a so-called condensing boiler, which attempts to recover the heat from the steam in the boiler exhaust; this is supposed to give an efficiency of 90–95%.

Your tankless hot-water systems seem to be a more advanced form of the old-fashioned geyser, which was traditionally gas-fired, and seemed to ignite with a minor explosion. The only difference seems to be that they can deliver to several take-off points.

Is your central heating completely separate from your hot-water supply?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
KT:Is your central heating completely separate from your hot-water supply?
Yes, and it has always been (in this house). It is more efficient that way, at least for us.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I glad that all the work has been done for proper installation--I remembered your discussion about the plumbing company owner and the manufacturer. It seems like they did all the work relatively quickly but then, I wasn't living in the midst of it. How long did it take them to get it all done?
About 10 minutes of work; about six days of dithering.

Quote:
>>I almost battered the manufacturer with my cane when he absolutely would not listen to me.

Why? I thought he was the one who saw that the initial installation was badly done.
Because he only wanted to defend his device. We were upset about the installation, relevance, etc.

Quote:
Do keep us posted! I'm very curious...
Will do.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: About 10 minutes of work; about six days of dithering.
Wow! It sounded like days worth of work for the pipes...

>>Because he only wanted to defend his device. We were upset about the installation, relevance, etc.

Ahhh...got it...

>>Will do.

I can't wait to hear what happens next...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Wow! It sounded like days worth of work for the pipes...
Nah — they just changed out the short pipe from the exterior wall (where the gas meter is) about 5 feet to the tankless thing. That was easy.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Nah — they just changed out the short pipe from the exterior wall (where the gas meter is) about 5 feet to the tankless thing. That was easy.
Ahhh...I thought you had to have your entire house re-piped...

Terrie