DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default RawShooter Essentials

Corel is offering RawShooter essentials as a free download from its web site. RawShooter is camera RAW conversion and adjustment software.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Corel is offering RawShooter essentials as a free download from its web site. RawShooter is camera RAW conversion and adjustment software.
It will be interesting to see how it compares with ACR.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

You can learn a little more on this page: http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
You can learn a little more on this page: http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...sentials.html.
I've downloaded it. Not installed yet, but I certainly have plenty of Raw files to test it with.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Posted with the anonymous author's permission.

Quote:
May 10, 2005

My impressions of RawShooter Essentials...its author, I've read, was once part of the Capture One dev team.

C1 has a user interface that I find very unpleasant. Its devs must like it right fine, however. They have hardly changed it over several updates. I don't know if they ever plan to change it, even though (surely!) they must have received a lot of UI-related complaints. I hate working in C1 and unless there's a damned good reason to use it (see below), I'll head for Adobe Camera Raw every time.

RSE has a somewhat better UI but they still don't get it -- the program's C1 roots are still showing at the hairline. There are many inconvenient things about the UI: the text labels are unacceptably small (come on, folks -- small thin black type on a grey background; yeah, it's kind of hip-looking -- and, that just plain sucks); some of the icons appear in weird locations; the keystroke controls are woefully inadequate; the "snapshot" feature is poorly designed (or maybe right now it's just buggy). As with C1, using the arrow keys or rolling the mouse wheel in RSE usually selects a new image, whether or not you're done working with the current image -- if the focus is not one of the program's text fields. That is a very bad "feature" indeed.

Adobe Camera Raw's UI is head-over-heels better than anyone else's. (I haven't yet tried the ACR version that goes with PSCS2, but as I understand it the UI is better than ever.) But Adobe's algorithms aren't necessarily the very best for every image.

Sometimes ACR produces weird color shifts in highlights -- color shifts that were not present in the original scenes. They cannot be eliminated easily -- they are neither simple white-balance problems nor ACR fine-tuning problems. In those cases I have had to use C1/LE, which has converted some troublesome images without a trace of the unpleasant color shifts. When I reported this kind of problem, Adobe shrugged it off in a rather glib fashion as a side-effect of overexposure, and as a possible side-effect of "sensor artifacts." (The image in question was a bit overexposed, but not to the point of being a complete loss. The JPEG created in-camera at the same time the raw image was created shows _no_ trace of the color shifts or supposed sensor artifacts; but Adobe simply ducked that one.) Even if the problems were caused by "sensor artifacts," nonetheless C1/LE did a good, clean job on the conversions. Bottom line: no matter how well ACR works most of the time, there's no one converter capable of doing the best possible job on all possible images. The smart money's on having more than one converter on tap.

In ACR, the color temp. and tint sliders are adjusted automatically and in real time when you update white balance via the eyedropper tool -- likewise, when you select various "canned" white-balance settings. But in RSE, picking a white-balance setting with the eyedropper doesn't make any obvious change in any of the slider settings. That makes no sense.

RSE has an interesting but frustratingly mysterious set of selections in a control group called "Appearance": "Flat Look," "Indoor Normal," "Indoor Medium," and others along those lines. Moving from one Appearance setting to another can make very noticeable change in the image. But again: there's no slider movement. You can see the changes on-screen clearly enough, but you have no idea exactly the equivalent changes would be, if entered manually. It's disconcerting not knowing what the program has done. And it's a bit of a mixed message: on the one hand, the program seems intended to be a power-user's tool; on the other hand, the 100%-automatic changes via the Appearance control make the app seem like the software equivalent of a point-and-shoot camera. What's the idea here? Who's the audience for this product? Power users or point-and-shoot users? Why aren't these (sometimes huge) changes in appearance accompanied by the pertinent changes in the highlight and shadow and "fill light" sliders? Again, it just doesn't make sense.

One shot I was playing with today in RSE has very shallow depth of field. There are quite a few variations in light and dark within the (large) out-of-focus area. Selecting certain of the Appearance settings makes some of the darker out-of-focus areas almost disappear; they begin to blend completely into the lighter ones. It's an intriguing effect, and perhaps this kind of automated change could be desirable -- but what the hell does it all _mean_? What would be the equivalent commands if you wanted to make the changes manually? The program gives you no clue...

Anyway, my personal jury is still out on RSE. I'm awaiting the arrival of PSCS2 with the new ACR plug-in to see what that is all about. People in the Adobe forums are still reporting lots of problems with cache settings when they work with the new ACR. There's just no good reason anyone whose goal is to edit photographs -- rather than sweat over settings having nothing to do with image quality -- should have to go through that kind of grief. Yeah, even if it's an RTFM problem. If the feature is that troublesome, it isn't a good feature, and Adobe still has problems to work out ACR-cache-wise.

I'm hoping that, having "registered" the free version of RSE (at the time I downloaded it), I can at least receive notice when the commercial version becomes available. My complaints about RSE aside, it is still a contender.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
fhaber

Thank *you,* Andrew, for that review. It's a keeper for me.

-Frank
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Glad it helped. I got it from an email correspondent.