DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #51
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
No, I've never had any problems with Adobe's updater. It runs in the background, every now and again, but never crashes.

If you have apps that are crashing and general sluggishness, you should read the crash logs to see what the cause is; use Activity Monitor and Console logs to figure out what's holding things up.
I wasn't being specific enough. It runs in the background, alright. If I catch the fact that it's running soon enough, a right-click on the dock icon usually allows for Quit. If I don't spot it, I'll often see the spinning beach ball for far too long for processes, and after that, I see that the only Quit choice is Force Quit. I know I'm not alone, and I know that there are others who use the Updater without a problem.

This is on the iMac running CS3 and/or CS4. It doesn't destroy performance on the Mac Pro, but I still kill it as soon as I see it.

I don't have apps (the ones I choose to run) that are crashing. I rarely crash on either machine. If I do, I get Adobe's crash reporter and send in the log if I'm online.

I have noticed it doesn't run in the background "every now and again." It runs every time I open Acrobat, or darned near every time, and often enough ID CS3. It doesn't run often for PS or AI, so long as I don't open Acrobat or ID.

I get the "program not responding" from time to time in the main apps when I've spent all day in Bridge and PS, often with Acrobat running too, and/or ID. I must be getting program not responding very often with the Updater, or the menu wouldn't switch from Quit to Force Quit so often, nor so quickly. There's no crash log for a Force Quit.

If I were to report "general sluggishness" with my iMac G5 that holds a whopping 2GB RAM and 64 MB VRAM, and told them I had 4/5 of the Premium Design Suite open, and the PS file alone is routinely in the neighborhood of 400 MB, and often there's more than one file open, they'd just laugh at me. What else could I expect? That I could run that computer forever and have it perform like a champ? Sure do wish that were grounds for complaint. <BG>

Old 11-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #52
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Ah, I get it.

I hate the updater myself, but never thought of disabling it. Thanks for the good idea.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #53
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Thanks. It is probably time to install Snow Leopard and CS 4; they are just getting rusty here. I was trying to avoid consternation, but it pops up anyway.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #54
BobRoosth

You made the correct choice. XP 64 bit was never very useful. Too few hardware drivers. There are many fewer such issues with Vista 64 and Win 7 64. Among other things, we are about four years down the road.

There are a few older printers and scanners that are not supported with Vista 64 (and Palms, which bit two of my clients in the rear).

When I build my next machine (in the next couple of months) I expect to use Win 7 64 bit. That Palm is the only hardware holding me back. There is a fix with Win 7 -- XP mode -- although I suspect that will not work for me. I'd have to be running Outlook in the XP virtual machine, and that makes little sense....
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #55
JVegVT

As it turns out, I removed Win 7 64 and installed Win 7 32 instead. I hadn't yet activated, so it was a simple procedure.

It was definitely the right move for me. Given that the computer on which I installed Win 7 can't take more than 4 gigs of RAM, 64 bits offered me no advantage. I have no 64-bit software and it's very unlikely I'll be getting any during the life of this computer. With no RAM past 4 gigs and no 64-bit software in the future, the disadvantages of Win 7 64 outweighed the advantages.

In addition to no 64-bit driver for my Sony Clie and thus no possibility of syncing the PDA with Palm Desktop, there is no 64-bit driver for my old Epson inkjet, which is the best of my three color inkjets. (Turns out there's no 32-bit driver either, though the XP driver sort of but not quite works.) I guess I'll have to print to the Epson from either XP or Linux. While I don't have a lot of 16-bit software, the loss of what I do use was painful. For example, I use MealMaster II (that's 2) for my recipe manager. It's 16-bit. I have the 32-bit MealMaster 7 but I don't like it nearly as well as MealMaster II. I have some other oldies but goodies and while I could go the virtual machine route with them, it's a bother considering Win 7 64 doesn't offer me any advantages, with my RAM limitations and lack of 64-bit software. Win 7 32 is running all my old stuff just fine except for the Epson inkjet.

I love Windows 7. I like the interface better than anything else I've used in Windows or Linux. Linux is still my main OS and that won't change, but I won't be unhappy on those occasions when I need to use Windows.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #56
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I suppose they'd do what they'll do. It's their money ... if they want to leave it on the table, who'm I to argue?
I just got an opinion on this from a graphics software company. The opinion was that as long as Microsoft's current Windows has a 32 bit version, Adobe will have a 32-bit Photoshop. And come to think of it, the only time Adobe forces us to upgrade Windows was when we were hanging on to an older version.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #57
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I just got an opinion on this from a graphics software company. The opinion was that as long as Microsoft's current Windows has a 32 bit version, Adobe will have a 32-bit Photoshop. And come to think of it, the only time Adobe forces us to upgrade Windows was when we were hanging on to an older version.
That'd be my guess. One I'd bet money on.

It only makes sense, really.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote