DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Mac Townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaink View Post
So just put a piece of tape over the check engine light or remove the bulb!
Can't do that. If the car is OBD II complient, (and a 83 probably is not, since the requirement came in in 96) the test computer will notice the bulb is missing or burned out and will fail the car until it is fixed. If it is OBD I, then the technician will notice it is not coming on when he switches on the ignition (or he should, anyway, if he is doing his job).

I have a 92 Olds where the engine wiring loom is burned in a few places and it simply won't pass smog. Even though the tailpipe emissions are on the low end of spec. I pulled the bulb, and have managed to sweet talk the test technician into overlooking that...but he was a friend of mine. I don't kniow if he would do it again. I'm certainly not counting on it.

Actually, I feel the computers and OBD (On Board Diagnostics) are extremely beneficial. Cars today get much better mileage, engines last much longer, and so on. I just wish the manufacturers would have spent an extra $10 to use better quality insulation in their wire looms. This is a very common problem in all brands of early-mid 90s cars and trucks.

My 97 Dakota is running fine, though...after I was able to use its scan codes to fix several problems that existed when i bought it. And I used the iopportunity to teach a grandson how to properly route ignition wires.<G>
Mac Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote