Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Car troubles! Ick.

Quote:
kt: Yeah!
The repair work I had done on my truck just before Thanksgiving did not fix the check engine light problem I've been having for the last couple of years. Took the truck in on Monday and it's now Thursday and the mechanics think they've figured out the real problem. I've spent the week both aggravated, sans transportation and anxious about if they whatever they find is fixable and what that fix will end up costing...they hope that it will be finished today...I'll find out about 4pm so keep your fingers crossed...'-}}

>>You can view Pentagram’s regular web site (that shows the San Francisco section). The closest thing I see to Contact is a list of partners (the names are links).

Yeah...I found all of that--the partners page also has no contact info. I don't know...maybe it's just me, but they sure make it hard to figure out how to contact them...you have to click on the Offices link and then click on an individual city location to finally find either a phone number or an email address.

I guess they are so successful that they don't need or care to post contact info more globally...

>>They are also on Twitter, and it appears you can comment there.

I don't do twitter...'-}}

>> BTW: their page did not reposition my browser window. A horizontal line runs across and off the page, but all the operative part of the page remains visible in my narrow window (both Firefox and Safari)

If I'm remembering correctly, you don't browser in a full size window so perhaps that's why...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, you don't browser in a full size window so perhaps that's why...
No I don’t, and maybe so. No matter what, no one should presume to mess with your desktop!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: No matter what, no one should presume to mess with your desktop!
Indeed...I find that very presumptuous and very annoying--sort of like I find pentagram.com on the whole...'-}}

Got my truck back...yay!!! I hope they are right when they say they think they've fixed the check engine light problem...keep your fingers crossed...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Got my truck back...yay!!! I hope they are right when they say they think they've fixed the check engine light problem...keep your fingers crossed...'-}}
And for little money, I hope!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: And for little money, I hope!
This time...yes...although I will still owe them something in about 3 weeks.

The last time it was in (just before Thanksgiving), they replaced the truck's fuel injectors ($141 each and there are 8 of them) as they were leaking along with the truck's computer ($300) and they were sure that would fix the check engine light problem. It didn't as light came on within a week of the repair and I've been waiting until the holidays were over to take it back in.

I was hoping it would all go away but as the time has passed since Thanksgiving, it's rare that I could go to/from home without the check engine light coming on and the vibration was getting worse. I was basically afraid to drive any real distance for fear that it would finally die and I was also afraid that I'd damage the new fuel injectors and computer.

In addition to the check engine light coming on (with it's associated engine vibration), my temp gauge was fluctuating more than it should and after discussing it with them, I decided to have them replace the thermostat. I only paid for this today--$142...

What they discovered late yesterday afternoon is that they felt the check engine light problem lay in the wiring harness. After some online research I discovered that this is a somewhat common problem with Dakotas.

Apparently, you can't buy premade wiring harness for a 1993 Dodge Dakota so they created one. Normally, that would run $650 but given what I've already paid them (and in a sense for their misdiagnosis), they've feel that it would only be fair not to charge me the full amount and we will discuss it in 3 weeks--since check engine light problem started I have never been able to go 3 weeks without the light coming on and so if the new wiring harness is the solution I should know in 3 weeks and I will pop in to the shop and we will discuss how much I owe them.

For those who might wonder why I just don't buy a new car...no money for a new one or even a second hand one...

Terrie
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
almaink

So just put a piece of tape over the check engine light or remove the bulb!
That light is the dumbest thing they ever put in a car.
BTW my wife's Honda with 298.000 miles on it died this week. Blown head gasket. Not worth fixing so I junked it for $200.
almaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
almaink: So just put a piece of tape over the check engine light or remove the bulb!
I would have done something like that if it were just the light coming on but when the light comes on, there is significant engine vibration and it's problematic attempting to accelerate over 45mph. It's been very difficult to diagnose the problem--the check engine codes for older cars (pre-1996???) are not as accurate (detailed?) as the codes on newer cars. I'm really hoping that replacing the wire harness will do the trick...

I think with almost 300,000 miles, you guys got a lot out of that Honda...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Mac Townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by almaink View Post
So just put a piece of tape over the check engine light or remove the bulb!
Can't do that. If the car is OBD II complient, (and a 83 probably is not, since the requirement came in in 96) the test computer will notice the bulb is missing or burned out and will fail the car until it is fixed. If it is OBD I, then the technician will notice it is not coming on when he switches on the ignition (or he should, anyway, if he is doing his job).

I have a 92 Olds where the engine wiring loom is burned in a few places and it simply won't pass smog. Even though the tailpipe emissions are on the low end of spec. I pulled the bulb, and have managed to sweet talk the test technician into overlooking that...but he was a friend of mine. I don't kniow if he would do it again. I'm certainly not counting on it.

Actually, I feel the computers and OBD (On Board Diagnostics) are extremely beneficial. Cars today get much better mileage, engines last much longer, and so on. I just wish the manufacturers would have spent an extra $10 to use better quality insulation in their wire looms. This is a very common problem in all brands of early-mid 90s cars and trucks.

My 97 Dakota is running fine, though...after I was able to use its scan codes to fix several problems that existed when i bought it. And I used the iopportunity to teach a grandson how to properly route ignition wires.<G>
Mac Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Townsend View Post
Can't do that. If the car is OBD II complient, (and a 83 probably is not, since the requirement came in in 96) the test computer will notice the bulb is missing or burned out and will fail the car until it is fixed. If it is OBD I, then the technician will notice it is not coming on when he switches on the ignition (or he should, anyway, if he is doing his job).

I have a 92 Olds where the engine wiring loom is burned in a few places and it simply won't pass smog. Even though the tailpipe emissions are on the low end of spec. I pulled the bulb, and have managed to sweet talk the test technician into overlooking that...but he was a friend of mine. I don't kniow if he would do it again. I'm certainly not counting on it.

Actually, I feel the computers and OBD (On Board Diagnostics) are extremely beneficial. Cars today get much better mileage, engines last much longer, and so on. I just wish the manufacturers would have spent an extra $10 to use better quality insulation in their wire looms. This is a very common problem in all brands of early-mid 90s cars and trucks.

My 97 Dakota is running fine, though...after I was able to use its scan codes to fix several problems that existed when i bought it. And I used the iopportunity to teach a grandson how to properly route ignition wires.<G>
But the older cars don't have a BTDC*, so the first of the two suggestions from almaink should cause no problems.

* Black Tape Detection Circuit

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mac: since the requirement came in in 96
So I was remembering the changeover year correctly...'-}}

>>I just wish the manufacturers would have spent an extra $10 to use better quality insulation in their wire looms. This is a very common problem in all brands of early-mid 90s cars and trucks.

So it's not just Dakota's with the problem?

>> My 97 Dakota is running fine, though..

Which Dakota do you have? My 93 is the 4x4 V8 with extended cab...

Terrie