DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Food Network off air in NY, NJ, and CT

Effective January 1, 2010, Cablevision has dropped Food Network and Home & Garden Network in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.

I discovered this at lunchtime — I went looking for something to watch besides football, basketball, or hockey, and was shocked by a notice from Cablevision management saying that it could not come to terms with Scripps (owner of the two channels) and so would no longer present their programming. Evidently Scripps is asking for higher fees.

Whatever the story, this should cause some excitement.

Cablevision is a monopoly in much of the tri-state area, and Food Network a very popular show. (It may be available on a satellite channel in many parts of the market.) It appears that the cable company pulled the plug, not Scripps.

In a post on the Connecticut Post blog, writer Tom Baden suggests this is a warning shot directed at Fox, which is in a similar negotiation with Time-Warner cable over House, The Simpsons, and other popular programming: “Presumably, Cablevision was giving Fox a little taste of what a cut-off might look like … .”

Most Cablevision customers I know complain about frequent, unexplained price increases so the cable company is unlikely to get much sympathy in this dispute. And viewers love their Food Network, no matter how mediocre it may be.

Should be fun.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Effective January 1, 2010, Cablevision has dropped Food Network and Home & Garden Network in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
Wow! I'd be pissed...I watch Food and HGTV with some frequency...

Keep us posted...

BBC America is running a Dr. Who marathon...I know what I'm watching tonight...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Wow! I'd be pissed...I watch Food and HGTV with some frequency...

Keep us posted...
I will, but the news is not great. NY1 (a subsidiary of Time-Warner, if that matters) reports that “Cablevision says it’s disappointed it couldn’t reach an agreement, and doesn’t expect to carry their programming again given the dramatic changes in their approach to working with distributors.” Whatever that means.

Quote:
BBC America is running a Dr. Who marathon...I know what I'm watching tonight...'-}}
Probably should blush with embarrassment, but I have never seen any Dr. Who episodes.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Whatever that means.
Doesn't make sense to me either...

>>Probably should blush with embarrassment, but I have never seen any Dr. Who episodes.

I used to catch the old Dr. Who on PBS every once in a while and then they developed a new Dr. Who series that was shown on the SciFi channel and I got into it--the new one has a lovely blend of the old make-do attempt at looking futuristic (one of the Dalek's (great enemy of Dr. Who) "hands" was obviously a toilet plunger...'-}}) with the better technology for special effects we have now. I now get BBCA and the episodes are available earlier than they are on SciFi and I like it but I've always been a science fiction fan...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

I liked science fiction, way back when, but that was a lo-o-o-o-ng time ago.

Maybe some day. If there is no Food Network or HG it may be pretty soon! <g>

Old 01-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Paul

Time-Warner sent me a raft of email about their negotiations with Fox. I thought it would be a great benefit to the country for the Fox channels to disappear from cable TV.

As it turned out, the rate issue would have had no effect out here in the hinterland - it affected only cable systems' payments in the metro areas where the network owned the broadcast station. Time-Warner's payments to the local affiliates weren't in dispute.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Time-Warner sent me a raft of email about their negotiations with Fox. I thought it would be a great benefit to the country for the Fox channels to disappear from cable TV.
I like House and The Simpsons, but don’t watch them regularly. I could live forever without the other Fox channels, but I don’t think they were involved.

In fact, I only this week discovered that Ch. 5 — the Fox entertainment channel — is no longer accessible via Cablevision, either. I thought it might be a technical problem, but my neighbor said she has lost it as well.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Susie

I would certainly be upset it TW pulled the plug especially on HGTV, which I watch on a fairly regular basis. I don't often tune in to the Food Network. We got bombarded by Time Warner during December about Fox wanting too much money and threatening to pull the plug. I would have been really pissed about that since our local pro football team's games are almost always on Fox. I got an e-mail last night, though, that TW and Fox settled their differences.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
I would certainly be upset it TW pulled the plug especially on HGTV, which I watch on a fairly regular basis. I don't often tune in to the Food Network. We got bombarded by Time Warner during December about Fox wanting too much money and threatening to pull the plug. I would have been really pissed about that since our local pro football team's games are almost always on Fox. I got an e-mail last night, though, that TW and Fox settled their differences.
I believe HGTV and Food Network also negotiated with Time-Warner, but in private.

The problem for us in CT is that we have no easy alternative (unlike NY and NJ, who also have Verizon and/or Time-Warner). The two Scripps channels on Cablevision amount to only about 3 million people (TW has something like 18 million in the region), so I suspect the cable company will refuse to negotiate.

Food Network has become increasingly pathetic, but I do watch a few of the shows semi-regularly. We have been watching HDTV more, enjoying the quick fixes for house problems that in our real life seem to take forever! Now, kaboom, we have neither. Maybe I will take it philosophically — probably have time to do something useful.

Happy New Year, by the way. Hope we all have a great new decade.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Susie

Here where I live now, Time Warner is the only chose. In Dallas, they have four choices, DirecTV, Verizon and ATT, plus TW, but we only have one choice. I'm not thrilled with TW service, after numerous years with DirecTV, but if it's the only game in town, then I have no choice. I may switch back to DirecTV after my contract with TW is up, but that's over a year away.

I do enjoy HGTV and the variety of shows there, but I rarely watch the Food Network.

Happy New Year to you too, and to one and all who are here in this forum.