DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default VueScan scanning software

I hadn’t looked into VueScan for a couple of years, but I just got a press release saying that MacWorld U.K. has nominated it for a best imaging software award, so I went to the Hamrick Software web site to see what is going on.

It seems to have gotten past some of the limitations I remember (one of which was that it didn’t support the scanner I was using at the time). It is available now for Mac, Windows, and Linux, which can be useful in some settings. You can download a fully-functional trial (which places a watermark on the images) to see how it works in your setup. And it costs $50 or $90 (standard or professional editions).

This is the link to download VueScan. On the same page are links to scanning tips, examples on how to use some of its functions, and other useful bits and pieces.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
This is the link to download VueScan. On the same page are links to scanning tips, examples on how to use some of its functions, and other useful bits and pieces.
I have a licence for VueScan, because I was forced to use it when I first moved to OS X. I'm fairly happy with the software that came with my Epson Perfection 3200 Photo, but it could be worth a try again.

Old 05-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.

I used Vuescan for years with my HP Photosmart scanner (which, unfortunately, seems to have bitten the big one). It was very, very good. As Ed kept adding features, it got harder to use. I finally gave up and started using the HP software that came with my scanner. When I get a new scanner, I'll have another look at it.

Any suggestions for a film scanner that costs less than $1,000?

Regards,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelen
I used Vuescan for years with my HP Photosmart scanner (which, unfortunately, seems to have bitten the big one). It was very, very good. As Ed kept adding features, it got harder to use. I finally gave up and started using the HP software that came with my scanner. When I get a new scanner, I'll have another look at it.
I found it very good, but very slow and somewhat arcane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelen
Any suggestions for a film scanner that costs less than $1,000?
I hope someone else can offer you advice on that. I'm in Australia, and don't have a film scanner at all.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

I can't remember what my Nikon Coolscan ED cost, but I've been very pleased with it. The scans have been great quality for what I do, and it's reasonably speedy as well. I don't remember that it was hugely expensive, but my brain doesn't hang onto that sort of information very well. I leave that sort of remembering to my spouse. <g> I have a feeling you'd be pleased with a Nikon in your price range, though. You can usually find some decent reviews online once you've chosen a likely model. My scanner has probably been replaced by some updated model by now!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Norman Hathaway

don't laugh but i think the epson flatbeds do a frightfully good job with transparencies. i used to poo-poo the idea of using a flatbed for trannies, but have since changed my mind after using one of for a book project.

have a look:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...0/Page%201.htm

if you've never been to the photo-i site before...
i think it's safe to say it's 'extensive'.

n

Last edited by Norman Hathaway; 10-17-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
don't laugh but i think the epson flatbeds do a frightfully good job on trnsparencies. i used to poo-poo th eidea of using a flatbed for trannies, but have changed my mind since using one of these on a book project.

have a look:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...0/Page%201.htm

if you've never been to the photo-i site before...
i think it's safe to say it's 'extensive'.

n
Thanks, Norman. We have an Epson Perfection 3200. My husband feels that it does an OK job, but that a dedicated film scanner would be better. I'll play with it and see what I think.

Regards,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Norman Hathaway

what film types do you want to scan?

also - read that review in-depth, as he compares the quality of the latest epson to that of other nikon film scanners etc.
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

I use VueScan primarily with my slide scanner (Minolta Dimage II) and I love it...it's an *excellent* piece of software...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>michelen: Any suggestions for a film scanner that costs less than $1,000?

I was going to suggest taking a look at some of the newer flatbed scanners as Norman has because their optical scanning res is so high...

That said, I have a Minolta Dimage II which I like very much and a friend of mine bought a Minolta about a year ago and is very pleased...here's the url for their main slide scanner page:

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...alFilmScanners

Take a look at the 5400...it runs a bit under $600...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote