DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 12-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
CWM480

Default Email Etiquette

Hi All,

I was talking in another message here with KT and we were talking about EMAIL and how to make email easier on others.

She was saying that it is more proper to type in PLAIN TEXT because some people cant read it, or their old email client like Netscape Mail client, or Opera Mail or maybe even Eudora wont pick up on it right and make it all garbled

So my question is, do you think its proper to type in Plain Text all the time or spice your email up with HTML all the time? Sometime? or NEVER?

I would like all to chime in... As long as no one is rude about their answers.

MYSELF: I use HTML all the time: GEORGIA FONT, and baby blue Text.

Thanks,

MY BLOG
CWM480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Most sites that offer to send regular emails to you will also let you choose whether you prefer HTML or plain text. If they didn't have a lot of people who don't want HTML text, I doubt they'd ask.

If you're just sending personal email to friends/family and nobody's complaining about your HTML email, I'd say there's no reason to change.

If you're sending commercial email to a lot of people whose preferences you don't know, I'd say plain text is the safest. It may not be as effective at conveying your message, but it won't annoy anyone. And come to think of it, a plain text message that gets read will convey your message better than an HTML one that gets deleted or can't be read. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
CWM480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Most sites that offer to send regular emails to you will also let you choose whether you prefer HTML or plain text. If they didn't have a lot of people who don't want HTML text, I doubt they'd ask.

If you're just sending personal email to friends/family and nobody's complaining about your HTML email, I'd say there's no reason to change.

If you're sending commercial email to a lot of people whose preferences you don't know, I'd say plain text is the safest. It may not be as effective at conveying your message, but it won't annoy anyone. And come to think of it, a plain text message that gets read will convey your message better than an HTML one that gets deleted or can't be read. <g>
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that tip, and Right, no one is really complaining about it.

MY BLOG
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cwm480: and baby blue Text.
I think that color would be very difficult to read. I know in forums and lists that I participate in, I just skip posts that are in colors that I find hard to read--along with posts with moving/jumping/make me motion sick emoticons...'-}}

But, as Steve has mentioned, if you are sending to friends/family, it's probably just fine--did you ever ask?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
sky4forums

Quote:
and baby blue Text
Not easy for some people to see. I prefer black text on a white background.

As I said in the other message thread - I send plain text emails and prefer to receive the same.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
CWM480

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I think that color would be very difficult to read. I know in forums and lists that I participate in, I just skip posts that are in colors that I find hard to read--along with posts with moving/jumping/make me motion sick emoticons...'-}}

But, as Steve has mentioned, if you are sending to friends/family, it's probably just fine--did you ever ask?

Terrie
Ive never asked because I get emails in color from other AOL and NON AOL friends.

MY BLOG
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cwm480: Ive never asked because I get emails in color from other AOL and NON AOL friends.
Ahhh...well...there ya go...'-}}

Terrie
Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
CWM480

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky4forums View Post
Not easy for some people to see. I prefer black text on a white background.

As I said in the other message thread - I send plain text emails and prefer to receive the same.

I dont even KNOW if there is a way to set OUTLOOK 2003 to Send and Recieve in Plain Text.. I know alot of people DONT like attachments and would rather have them INBEDED into the email than attached :X

MY BLOG
Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cwm480: I know alot of people DONT like attachments and would rather have them INBEDED into the email than attached
I'd much rather have an attachment than something embedded because I can check an attachment for spam/virus/malicious more easily than something that is embedded and an attachment is easier to get rid of without mucking up the sender's original email.

Terrie
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
CWM480

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'd much rather have an attachment than something embedded because I can check an attachment for spam/virus/malicious more easily than something that is embedded and an attachment is easier to get rid of without mucking up the sender's original email.

Terrie
Yeah, same here....

So have you set thunderbird for PLAIN TEXT or are you still allowing HTML and embeds?

MY BLOG