DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
john_b

Default PHP connection to MySQL database

I noted recently that a website that I run was down in that none of the PHP scripts could connect to the MySQL database. The site is hosted remotely, I called them as soon as I found out and the problem was solved after a reboot of the MySQL server. There was no apparent reason for the failure...

...so it set me wondering. Had I been away, say for a few days, then the situation could have been more serious and I wouldn't have known anything about it for some considerable time.

I was thinking that instead of what seems to be common practice in PHP of saying connect to the database or display a rather unhelpful error message along the lines of

or die ("sorry, could not connect");

perhaps it would be better to also send an email alert to the administrator saying that there may be a problem.

That seems feasible, but is it a) recommended practice and b) a wise plan, given that it may well swamp your mailbox on a busy site?

On the one hand, if such a problem does arise then you'd like to know about it asap, but on the other hand, might there be an equally serious downside?

John
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I don't know PHP but I'd expect that you could check an Email_sent boolean variable before sending the email. Pseudocodially:

If Email_sent then
' already sent the email; nothing to do
Else
SendTheEmail
Email_sent = True
End if

You'd then run another script or visit a page that runs it for you once you'd sorted the problem. This other script would set Email_sent back to false.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
donmcc

It's been a while since I was coding php, but could you get a routine to run on the fail, before the die, that would email the admin one time, and then ignore itself until the problem is fixed?

If a site wasn't huge, your idea of asking for a notification might work, but I would hate to have 3000 emails come in from a huge site after a weekend (your B scenario).

Don
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
john_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I don't know PHP but I'd expect that you could check an Email_sent boolean variable before sending the email.
Thanks for that and I think I'd got as far as deciding that, yes, I want an email alert but just the one email will do it, thanks very much!

Setting a flag, as you say, is the way to go. So where to store it? I thought maybe I'd just write it into the database somewhere...

...but a few moments of more mature reflection reveals the folly of that approach! Doh!!!

However, I guess I can just write it to a small text file - that should do it.

On a wider issue, I'm no PHP maven, but it does seem that this kind of error handling doesn't feature too prominently in the standard - but possibly limited - texts and tutorials that I've come across. I just wondered if there's an approach that finds general favour among those who know about these things.

John
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
john_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
It's been a while since I was coding php, but could you get a routine to run on the fail, before the die, that would email the admin one time, and then ignore itself until the problem is fixed?
Thanks for that and I do like the notion of a routine that ignores itself...;-)

Just joking, and I think you're right - just not quite sure if there's an elegant way to achieve it. Probably fair to say, though, that my PHP coding and the word 'elegant' don't sit easily together.

I think it's possible to do away with the 'die' part and replace it with a function that does whatever's necessary and then 'exit's any further processing.

So unless an 'elegant' option emerges I think I'll be going for the somewhat clunky approach as in my reply to Steve.

John
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

" ... among those who know about these things."

There's my exit line.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
perhaps it would be better to also send an email alert to the administrator saying that there may be a problem.

That seems feasible, but is it a) recommended practice and b) a wise plan, given that it may well swamp your mailbox on a busy site?
This is normal practice for vBulletin forums (the one used here). I use a specific account for the administrator, so that any notifications don't get lost among other more general e-mails. It's been very useful on the few occasions when there's been a problem on the server at the hosting company I use.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #8
john_b

I think what highlighted the issue was the fact that the website itself was accessible but the MySQL server was down - I don't think I've come across that combination before.

Clearly if the web server is down then you're up a gum tree, but if just the database is out then you can at least send an alert to say so.

Your idea of a dedicated email account is a good one and I think certainly I'll go for that!

John
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_b View Post
I think what highlighted the issue was the fact that the website itself was accessible but the MySQL server was down - I don't think I've come across that combination before.

Clearly if the web server is down then you're up a gum tree, but if just the database is out then you can at least send an alert to say so.

Your idea of a dedicated email account is a good one and I think certainly I'll go for that!
Some hosting services deliberately place database and e-mail (and sometimes control panels) on different servers — Cartika, for one.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
john_b

Yes I appreciate that different servers may be involved though I'm certainly no guru in that area. I think that what struck me about this incident was that I was assuming that the hosting company would be monitoring all these services, but now I'm not so sure...

I'd have to say that they've been pretty good since I moved to them a couple of years ago and I've not had too many problems. There have been odd occasions when email has been down or the website has been unavailable but in my experience they've been back up and running fairly quickly.

So I have assumed that if there is a problem then they will be alerted and fix it toot sweet.

But now I don't know how long it would have taken them to spot that my MySQL service was down and, worryingly, whether they would have spotted it. If I hadn't phoned them, what would have happened?

In any event, if it's possible to alert me of any similar problem in the future then that would seem to be the way to go...;-)

John