DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 11-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Kelhan

Default DTP on a desktop printer

New here and hope I've chosen the right section for this question.

My workplace has approved purchase of CS4 and the hardware (PC and printer) to produce quarterly newsletters, brochures, flyers, posters etc.

In the past I worked as a magazine and news editor, where I had pre-press tech backup and they had set the templates etc in Quark. I have also worked with InDesign and learnt to set up templates, and create files ready for pre-press, FTP them etc. It was a steep learning curve.

Now, I'm in a workplace that wants my DTP skills but won't pay printers to do the end process. From my short experience with InDesign - it doesn't print well to desktop printers. White space around edges of page, off to one side, all sorts of strange setups. But it looks like I have to try and make it work.

Does anyone have suggestions re printers? Which ones work best for desktop printing from InDesign files.

And are there ways to overide settings or something so that it prints to the edge of the page?
Kelhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Welcome to the forum, Kelhan

What sort of output are you looking for – colour, B&W? What final size? How many pages per month/year, copies per issue?

You can get some good quality oversize A3 papers suitable for desktop printers, so that you can allow for bleed in your InDesign documents and then trim to size. One that I've used successfully in the past is a 100gsm Neusiedler that printed beautiful colour from an Epson inkjet, but was also suitable for laser ouput.

Tell us some more so we can offer some suitable suggestions.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

Do also think about the consumable costs. I bought a cheap HP colour laser printer (HP2605) and used it to print 500 A4 full-colour pages. The toner cost to do this cost more than the printer. Desktop printing can be very expensive.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelhan View Post
From my short experience with InDesign - it doesn't print well to desktop printers. White space around edges of page, off to one side, all sorts of strange setups.
And are there ways to overide settings or something so that it prints to the edge of the page?
Err.... nothing wrong with InDesign's printing to desktop machines. You need to set all the options in the print dialog, as you would with Quark: centre the page on the sheet, bleed, trim marks, if required -- even Slug, which is the best thing since sliced bread!

White space around the edge of the page is usually caused by the margins limitations of the printer itself.

As for choosing a printer: first, what sort of print runs are you going to be doing? That's going to be the major factor of what you should choose. Showing your boss a price per page comparison will be very useful in justifying your decision.
I've had excellent experiences with Xerox; and mixed results on different Canon systems. Big, sturdy HPs are very good, but the cheaper consumer end is not very good.

For this sort of stuff, it's very easy to make a false economy. Buy cheap, pay twice, as my grandmother used to say.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> And are there ways to overide settings or something so that it prints to the edge of the page?

If the printer's capable of it, most programs will allow it, but very few printers are capable of it. Most have mechanical limitations that prevent them from printing clear out to the edge.

The way around this (that Ann's already alluded to) is to print to oversize paper then trim to final size. That in turn means that you'd need a printer capable of printing to oversize paper. And a good trimmer.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Steve:
Quote:
The way around this (that Ann's already alluded to) is to print to oversize paper then trim to final size
Therein lies the difficulty: trimming is a task that printing shops and print-finishing shops can do without difficulty, for they're equipped with powered guillotines, but otherwise you are faced with a wearisome job that probably won't be satisfactory.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

And a lot of patience too!

I once did 200 CDs with booklets, tray cards and on-body print for someone who couldn't wait to have it sent to the printers. It turned into an all nighter.

Once was enough though!

Seriously, it is false economy in most cases. Do some costing on how much you have to pay out for the print run if you did it yourself versus having it printed commercially.

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 11-24-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: speling error
Bo Aakerstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Kelhan

thanks annc, output would be mostly colour
current newsletter is 10 A4 pages / quarterly / 300 copies
but looking at redesign and bi-monthly (perhaps A5 12 or 16 pages)
then there's bi-fold flyers bi-monthly
posters random / number unknown
other promo stuff as required
at this stage their stuff has been very basic and they are wanting me to upgrade their visual communications (without the upgraded expense!?!)
Old 11-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Kelhan

you're so right there Mike, they currently use colour inkjet and I reckon they could get it digital printed (colour photocopied) externally cheaper
Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Kelhan

I though that because all my files had been prepped for commercial presses, when I tried to print any proof copies to printer it didn't work real well?

Price per page comparison is what I'm working on now, it all takes time to do the research and present findings . . .

Buy cheap, pay twice, is the truth!