DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default A slow boat from China

In these days of instant gratification it's amazing how long it takes to get a new MacBook.

My existing MacBook went to sleep a couple of weeks ago and refused to wake up whatever I did to it - including taking a screwdriver to it and spreading its innards over the workbench, so I ordered a new one. I guess the mistake I made was in wanting one with an anti-glare screen. This, apparently, constitutes a build-to-order option that has to be specially made in China. The Apple Store website does say that bto machines take 3 days to ship which doesn't sound too bad.

What I didn't realise was that after the 3 days they are obviously put onto a very slow boat that presumably drifts on some trade wind till it reaches Europe. I ordered the new MacBook on November 14th and it seems it left Shanghai on November 18th. So far so good, but the estimated delivery date (originally November 30th) is now December 1st.

It's so frustrating having to wait such a long time - and such a disruption to work as the old PowerBook G4 that I'm now using won't run much of the software I now use - which includes Bento that I use for time recording and job costing.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
Benwiggy

That's pretty standard for boats coming from the Far East. You might get one that take a few days less, and some that take a few days more.

It's a long way!
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: So far so good, but the estimated delivery date (originally November 30th) is now December 1st.
Perhaps they are rowing from Shanghai to you...'-}}

OH...I know! You forgot to pay the pirate's toll...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Maybe the Somalian pirates got it...

Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

By contrast I ordered an HP/Compaq laptop last year for a family member. Placed the order on the Office Depot website at $299 and paid another $99 to upgrade RAM to 2GB, better CPU and a DVDRW drive instead of a DVDRom/CDRW so it was a "build to order".

It arrived a week later from the factory in China by UPS via Shanghai, Anchorage and Memphis (of course) direct to my home. It was fascinating to watch the tracking system as it moved along.

Beautifully packed and in full working order.

Next time forget about a Mac <gdr>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
they are obviously put onto a very slow boat that presumably drifts on some trade wind till it reaches Europe.
It was probably put on a very fast jet, and is now sitting in a hanger at Heathrow waiting for somebody from the Ministry of Stamping Things to process the paperwork!

--don

Old 11-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

The worst thing about it is that by the time it arrives I won't be at the delivery address and neither will anyone else. I've tried to get the address changed but Apple can't do that until they know who is delivering it and they won't know who that is until after it arrives in the UK. One person at Apple said that when they know who is to deliver it then they can get the address changed whereas another person has told me that they will have to attempt to deliver it to the original address and then wait for it to be returned undelivered - only then can they change the delivery address.

Seems a very odd way to organise selling such high tech goods.

www.welshframing.com
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I ordered a new MacBook Pro yesterday, also the anti-glare screen so got the 3 days to ship message as well.

The monitor I ordered with it shipped yesterday and was picked up by the agent at Brisbane airport 45 minutes ago.

I love tracking this stuff...

Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I ordered a new MacBook Pro yesterday, also the anti-glare screen so got the 3 days to ship message as well.

The monitor I ordered with it shipped yesterday and was picked up by the agent at Brisbane airport 45 minutes ago.

I love tracking this stuff...
The monitor has arrived, almost exactly 26 hours after I ordered it, which is a record. I live outside the metropolitan area, so the courier company that delivered it is actually a contractor.

Pity it won't work on the current laptop, because I'm going blind doing a magazine without an external monitor. Not to mention juggling palettes.

Mike, I'll race you to see who gets the laptop first...

Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Mine still says "In transit to final destination - carrier details to be updated shortly." It's been saying that since November 14th.

I ordered a bog-standard Time Capsule and that seems to be shipping with it rather than being delivered separately. A bit annoying as the only way I can go online with this old laptop is to have it balanced on my knee in the sitting room as it needs to be within about 3 foot of a base station. And even with the WiFi base station only 3 foot away the signal strength still only show 2 bars.

www.welshframing.com