DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Ronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I seem to remember seeing square plaques; and have certainly seen some that were 10 X 14 inches, which is more generous.
After a quick look online, I am seeing 10x14" frames labeled as plaque frames. That seems like a decent size for me to work in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
Not wishing to rub salt in you wounds, but these issues you are dealing with are typical of taking on design work without having a proper brief. You need to cross the i's dot the t's and get it in writing before even starting to think about designing anything. Which is a hard thing to do if you are a creative type (I'm speaking from personal experience)!

If you can get the chamber members in on this do, as they are the ones who are going to have the plaques on their premises. Though remember if you want to get more work from the chamber you have got to keep them happy.
As far as briefing goes, it was a somewhat gradual conception; however, one of the local businesses has a plaque of some kind of their wall which the director personally drove me to to show me (after I made the "engraving" design). I don't think I could even read the plaque's text since it was about 8.5x11", but either way, the latest concept I have is perhaps even more similar to it than their current requested design (i.e. a bold, colorful image over a white background and related text).

I definitely want to propose that we have businesses voice their opinion on their favored design, but I'd definitely cringe if they had the seemingly biased employee present them. I might even offer to show the designs to businesses myself to obtain a true consensus. Perhaps business owners could sign their name on the back of the hard proofs, like voting. I see no harm in that.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote