DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'd doublecheck that the cable isn't a crossover one (but if moving it to another port solves the problem, that seems unlikely).
I don't think it is because this was the cable that came with the PNU and it says Cat5 on it--would a cross-over cable have that printed on it?

>>And I don't know that I'd bother with Cat6 just yet.

When I first went online looking for cables at local places, Cat6 cable was the only type available which led me to investigate what Cat6 was. When I checked Staples online, I found that my local store has both Cat5 and Cat6 in stock and they are pretty much the same price. Cat6 is supposed to be better at blocking interference so I thought since I need a longer cable for the living room that I'd just get the Cat6 but I'll see what's what when I go to Staples tomorrow...

>>If you're connecting two gigabit network card equipped PCs through a gigabit switch and sharing data between them ... that's probably worth bumping to Cat6.

Got it...

>>Ask me in a day or so how it went: I got a couple of 25ft jobs from Cables Unlimited (found them on Amazon). Cat6, 9 bucks each.

Good price! Is that just the cabling or do they have the connectors too? Maybe I should just order some online rather than buying them locally...hmmm...I guess I'll see what Staples has and then decide...

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote