DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default New monitor, or...

My 20" Apple Cinema Display died and nobody can fix it. It was being used with a 17" MacBook Pro which is two and a half years old and thus nearing the end of its useful life as a production machine.

I could possibly get more than three years out of the laptop, but not much more. I'm already noticing that it is a lot slower than I'd like. What is really impossible is doing InDesign work with just the laptop monitor. It's driving me crazy having to juggle palettes all the time and finding that the two I use most get toggled to inactive between uses.

The problem is, Apple has introduced new LCD screens and the new cinema displays can't be connected to my laptop. The 30" is still being produced in the old format, but while I lust after one, I don't have either the need or really the space for one while I can use the laptop monitor as one screen. If it were my only option, or the laptop were a lot newer, I'd manage, but it isn't.

Having lost my current display after less than 12 months' use (I left it in the box for 13 months, so no warranty) I'm reluctant to buy a secondhand one on eBay.

Has anyone tried the new glossy screens and displays for design work and if so, how do they affect your eyes after working with them 12+ hours a day? I have used one on an HP laptop at work briefly without difficulty, but I wasn't doing design work on it. And the lighting at work is very different from the lighting at home. I work beside a window with some quite strong light coming through at times, especially in winter when the wisteria on the pergola outside is leafless.

I'd probably go for a current MacBook Pro and 21" cinema display if I go for a totally new setup.

Any advice and tales of experience welcome.