DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
djb

Default Advice, please!

Our editorial department is working with a design consultant on a redesign of our newspaper. The consultant is pushing Georgia as a body face, at 9.3 over 10.2. (I have NO idea why that size and leading).

I find Georgia hard on my eyes and am concerned it will darken too much on newsprint. The majority of our subscribers are 50 and older...

How do others feel about it? What body copy font would you recommend?

We have Adobe Font Folio 11 (Opentype). We are currently using Minion 10 over 10.7 for body text, but change is apparently desirable.

I plan on running a press test of four or eight pages to "compare and contrast".
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

Quote:
Our editorial department is working with a design consultant on a redesign of our newspaper. The consultant is pushing Georgia as a body face, at 9.3 over 10.2. (I have NO idea why that size and leading).
Geogia at 9,3 pt would give about the same x-height as Times New Roman 9.pt; I should myself like the leading to be at least 1 pt greater than 0.9 pt, otherwise it would appear a bit dark.

Georgia is quite a nice typeface, but needs tightening up for print (Mathew Carter is said to be engaged on that at present), and quite a convential one. It is a derivative of Scotch Roman, and ultimately derived from Miller, which KT would possibly have chosen (she's often recommended it) and which I have seen in quite a small size but perfectly easily legible—and I'm a good while past my fiftieth birthday.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Ouch! Georgia is a screen-readable side-grade from Miller, which would be much better for newsprint (as Michael predicted I would say). It is available from Font Bureau, not Adobe, however.

If you want an Adobe font, I recommend Utopia — I have used it on newsprint, and it works very well. To “sell” it to editors, I set samples of real text in the actual format (measure, leading, etc.) in several contending typefaces. Utopia beat out the lot, among people of many ages. Restrict the range somewhat — you probably do not need every weight and style for a newspaper.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
djb

Thanks, Kathleen.

Miller or Miller Daily? (I see both at fontbureau.com) I can easily get away with buying one licence for a press test. We already have both T1 and OT versions of Utopia, so I'll add that to the test.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Miller or Miller Daily? (I see both at fontbureau.com) I can easily get away with buying one licence for a press test. We already have both T1 and OT versions of Utopia, so I'll add that to the test.
I haven’t had my paws on Miller Daily, but it looks good on-screen, and Matthew Carter knows how to design for newspapers. Don’t think you could go wrong with that.

Let us know how your press tests go. It all sounds like great fun.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Quote:
Miller, which would be much better for newsprint
If you have New Hart's Rules or Dictionaries for Writers and Editors, you can see Miller Text (8.5 pt?). And Utopia was especially recommended as surviving roughish treatment by Bringhurst.

Last edited by ktinkel; 09-25-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

KT:
Quote:
I recommend Utopia
There's one snag about Miller that may tip the balance in favour of Utopia: Miller fonts are available in OpenType, but even in those fonts, there are only 252 glyphs, which do not include small capitals; SC are only available in extra fonts. That may puzzle anyone that expects them to be included in an OT font and uses InDesign or the later versions of Quark.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
There's one snag about Miller that may tip the balance in favour of Utopia: Miller fonts are available in OpenType, but even in those fonts, there are only 252 glyphs, which do not include small capitals; SC are only available in extra fonts. That may puzzle anyone that expects them to be included in an OT font and uses InDesign or the later versions of Quark.
Except for a literary supplement, I doubt a newspaper will have much use for small caps (or oldstyle figures, for that matter).

Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Except for a literary supplement, I doubt a newspaper will have much use for small caps (or oldstyle figures, for that matter).
Don't they? I suppose not; but I should have thought that non-lining numerals were far better than lining numerals in newspaper text, which tends to be in the smaller sizes. I find these days that I can't easily distinguish the difference between 8 and 9 in many typefaces that use lining numerals. Incidentally, Georgia is one of the few fonts where non-lining numerals are the default.

Who started the custom of calling non-lining numerals 'old style'? lining numerals were very uncommon at the beginning of the nineteenth century, when old-style numerals were the usual arabic numerals that had been perfectly satisfactory for nearly four hundred years.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Incidentally, Georgia is one of the few fonts where non-lining numerals are the default.
The original version of Georgia had slightly different figures. 6 and 8 were the same, the descending numbers (3,4,5,7,9) descended a little less than old style figures, so the tops aligned with the tops of 0, 1, and 2, which were about three quarter height. I thought these figures were a good general purpose compromise between old style and lining figures. I've often wondered whose decision it was to change to true old style figures, Microsoft's or Carter's.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote