DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ronald: I believe they need to be illustrated at least 150% the actual print size.
Why?

When I scan old photos on my flatbed scanner (Epson 2450), if they are rather small--say...under 2"-3"--then I scan them at 150% - 200% (or larger) at (usually) 600dpi and I've found that allows me a great deal of flexibilty in tweaking the final size printing--I usually print my images on my Epson 4000 using 300ppi images so scanning at 600ppi gives me room to resize without creating pixelated images. I always scan RGB--even for b/w images--and then using Channel Mixer in Photoshop I create the greyscaling myself because then I can draw from each channel and I find it give me a better final greyscale image...

I don't know much of anything about the size of comic book images and the actual drawing of them so...a few questions:

1. Do you normally draw multiple images (panels) on a single sheet of drawing paper?

2. If so, is there anything to stop you from drawing single images on each sheet and then digitize these single images via flatbed scanner then putting them together (as appropriate) to create a traditional comic book panels using Photoshop or Illustrator?

In other words...do each drawing on its own sheet of drawing paper--no larger than your scanning bed--and put them together afterwords...

Is that a viable approach? I think that you could certainly experiment a bit with this?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote