DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default Communication Preference

Everyone has their own communication preference. I am an Email man myself. Can't be bothered with the phone, (short phone calls only please). Have a cell, but seldom use it. Never use text, look at blogs, facebook or twitter. But I do say hi to the neighbours when walking the dog.

Warren Buffet doesn't use his cell. When Lehman Brothers were in stuk some idiot at Barclays left a message on his cell which he apparently didn't listen to for ten months.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Given my hearing loss which makes the phone difficult for me to use, I rely on email for just about everything and I do sometimes read blogs (not often) and while I know what facebook and twitter are, I don't use them...

When I have to make a phone call most of the time these days I use the web-based version of my captioned telephone. When I make a call, I always start out telling whomever I'm calling that I have a hearing loss, that I'm using a special phone, that there is a communication assistant who is converting their speech into text so that there will be a delay whenever they speak before I can respond because I have to wait for the text to appear on my screen and then read the text...

I had to call Social Security yesterday and I went through my spiel about hearing loss and delay in my responses. The SSA person kept saying "tell her" or "she is" which I found confusing until I realized that she thought I was using the Relay system (slightly different approach to how the phone conversation works) and the SSA person didn't realize that the communication assistant will often attempt to provide me with the expression of the person I'm calling along with everything that is being said so the SSA person was unaware that her sighs and "oh lord" and comments like "she's just going on and on" were appearing on my screen. One would think that she would not have done this to a caller with normal hearing and if I had been calling someone who did not have a say in the benefits I receive, I would have told her that everything she said had been transmitted by the communication assistant. As she wasn't particularly helpful, I will be going to my local Social Security office to see if they can help me and I'm going to suggest to them that someone send out a memo that just because someone has a hearing loss that they shouldn't respond in any way differently than they would to a caller with normal hearing...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Franca
Staff

Quote:
I'm going to suggest to them that someone send out a memo that just because someone has a hearing loss that they shouldn't respond in any way differently than they would to a caller with normal hearing...
Good idea. How rude.

I use email for almost all of my communications, but I do have a few friends who either don't use a computer or don't check their email for weeks on end ... so I am still forced to pick up the phone if I have anything timely to say to them.

I am using my cell phone a bit more now than I used to, but not as much as I would if it had any sort of decent reception at my house. Aargh. I never used to come close to using up all of my allotted cell minutes so we went for a less expensive family plan with combined minutes. We still don't use them all up. But fewer of them are going to waste now that I can use my cell phone at the ranch where I board my horse ... plus I finally taught myself how to use my bluetooth earpiece (it only took me about two years to discover how simple it was) and will now use my cell in the car occasionally.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
John Spragens

I used to use the phone more than I do now. Junk phone calls made me wary. But I don't feel like paying the phone company extra for caller ID. So I let my answering machine screen calls for me most of the time.

When I do use the phone, I like using a headset rather than just talking into the phone. Even more convenient with a wireless phone that lets me walk around the house.

Email's my preference for most communications. But that doesn't work for some people I keep in touch with, like my old art professor. For her, I actually put paper in the mail, still.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I use e-mail almost exclusively and now rarely make or receive calls on my landline or personal mobile phone.

My work mobile is a different matter and I have to wear it clipped to my belt while I'm at work, on the way to or from, or on Saturdays. It came with the Ride of the Valkyries as its ringtone and not being a Wagner fan, I changed it quickly. But I failed to recoginse any other ring and kept missing calls, so now it's back to Wagner. It's also set to vibrate, and tickles me when it does, so I jump!

The thing I find really odd is that people ring me at work on my extension, get a busy signal, and then ring me immediately on my mobile. If there's someone else in our room not already on the phone, I can hand the mobile over to be answered, but if not, it has to go to voicemail. And the same people keep doing it, so they never learn...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
donmcc

I think I can trump you all. I got rid of the phone entirely just over a year ago, and haven't missed it a bit. No cell either.

I like email. I get to decide when to communicate, not some jarring ringtone ordering me to respond to it.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
, not some jarring ringtone ordering me to respond to it.
And the phone is always in another room. And so many of my outgoing calls are 0845 numbers to India with 4 levels of menu which cost me lots of money.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote