DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #11
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Terrie, I always have both windows open so I can see if I've done something silly like add a frame to an object without meaning to, but yes you use the Swatches window to create and edit new swatches.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
robin: I always have both windows open so I can see if I've done something silly like add a frame to an object without meaning to
I wondered if that were the case...

>>but yes you use the Swatches window to create and edit new swatches.

Oh yay! I actually understood the process then...how exciting...'-}}

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
klok

I'm terrible sorry but I think that I missled you with discription of my problem. There is no problem for me to create new swatches. I have a problem when working with allready created document in black color and then transfering it into another color. Let's say that there are a lot of objects that are on different layers and grouped in every possible way, some only with filled colors, some only with stroke, with different tint values.... I can not just select everything and change the color in swatches, because fills and strokes will no longer be the same...
If I'm working in opposite direction (changeing a pantone into black) I only delete a pantone swatch and replace it with a black one. Sometimes I use ink manager for the same action. Other way arround is my problem. Thank you for youre patience and affort.
klok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #14
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klok View Post
If I'm working in opposite direction (changeing a pantone into black) I only delete a pantone swatch and replace it with a black one. Sometimes I use ink manager for the same action. Other way arround is my problem.
You can do it—but not in one step (and it will not change the colors inside placed EPS files).

First, make a swatch for the color to which you want to change the objects.

Use the "Find/change..." command from the "Edit" menu. In the resulting window, select the "Object" tab.

Click on the small icon at the top of the right-hand side of the "Find Object Format:" box

Select fill in the list on the left-hand side of the resulting dialog, and select black from the menu on the right—do not fill in or select anything else.

Click the "okay" button.

Click on the small icon at the top of the right-hand side of the "Change Object Format:" box

Select fill in the list on the left-hand side of the resulting dialog, and select your desired color from the menu on the right—do not fill in or select anything else.

Click the "okay" button.

Click the "Change All" button

Click on the trash can icons at the bottom right-hand corner of each of the find and change object boxes.

Repeat the above steps, except use stroke instead of fill.

click on the text tab.

repeat the procedure to change the "character color"

These 3 changes should get most things... they will not change colors inside placed files. Placed greyscale TIFs can have the new color assigned to them manually in InDesign. Placed EPS files will have to be modified in the placed file.

Note: Since you are only doing this for client review (because you will use existing films), it is probably simpler to use PhotoShop to change the color of what you show them.

Hope this helps.

--don

Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
klok

Oh, thank's a lot. And I thougth that shifting to photoshope was complicated and time wasting... I will try to do it in InDesigne as you describe it - but at the first look seems a lot of work (more then in PHSP-as you allready written). But I am greatefull for your affort. I bow to you, you kind forum meber/s!
klok is offline   Reply With Quote